• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "physical abuse at work"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    Presumably because of this:
    Fairy nuffski. Missed that. Ta.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    That was a bit random.

Why do you refer to PMs?
    Presumably because of this:
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    forget that either take em outside and leather em or get your mates to do it for you.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Don't let it happen again.

Hard to say what to do when the situation is not totally described but you should be sorting this now. COnsider speaking to a joint manager and if it was criminal assault consider speaking to the police. Do whatever you have to to get this stopped.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    ....and people wonder why project managers have got a bad name in some quarters?
    That was a bit random.

Why do you refer to PMs?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    In my last role I was getting dissed in emails by a developer in the team. These were being copied to other people I had to deal with and it wasnt on to be frank.

I was quite happy to have it out with him in the car park but decided to be professional about it and take it to HR with a couple of examples of the mails.

Suffice to say they came down hard on him.

So, my advice is always be professional about it and dont fall for this bollocks that contractors dont get involved in such things.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Just can't imagine something like that in this day and age. Verbal abuse sure, but physical?!

Hope everything works out for you, some good advice above.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    To what degree of assault are we talking about.

Did someone ping an elastic band across the room and it accidentaly hit you in the arm. Or was it a big fist clean across the face. Presumably somewhere in between.

You shouldn't have to put up with either, but if it was at the very minor end of the scale, you'll look a right plonker going to HR.
    WHS. Good post.

Evidence is what you need most if you are going to take it further. Gettin the permies to drop another permie in it in a case of abuse against a contractor is going to be very difficult but again we don't know what level we are talking about here.

Leave a comment:

• computerdog
    replied
    Thanks all for your responses. We are both contractors (one being much more senior than me) and it was a bit more than an elastic ping across the desk (I can handle that). Will deal with it internally first before going to the police.

Thanks again for the replies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you bring the police in immediately, you are a bit screwed in terms of letting the company deal with the culprit without losing face - which means a chance you'll be dropped too. Doing it internally with the HR director and their/your line managers and making it absolutely clear you will report it to the managing director and then police if nothing happens would be my approach.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    To what degree of assault are we talking about.

Did someone ping an elastic band across the room and it accidentaly hit you in the arm. Or was it a big fist clean across the face. Presumably somewhere in between.

You shouldn't have to put up with either, but if it was at the very minor end of the scale, you'll look a right plonker going to HR.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Is the bully also a contractor?

If so, should he not go to their line manager?
    If that is the case, wouldn't it be better to go straight to the police? In addition to their superior powers of punishment, you'd avoid involving the client in something that's probably not their responsibility. Well, you'd probably still involve them in the evidence-gathering but at least you wouldn't be passing the buck.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    In addition to RC's, "If there's anything to see..." take photos and date them.

Best of luck

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by computerdog View Post
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if someone might be able to help with pointing me in the right direction as I was physically abused at work recently.

Many Thanks for your help in advance
    Is the bully also a contractor?

If so, should he not go to their line manager?

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Take it to HR.
    If they`re any good the person will be gone in no time, if bad they`ll be let off with a warning, or should that be the other way around?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    so like what someone punches you and you run to HR??

I would never instigate violence but if someone tries to use it as a 'motivational' tool then you have to stop it asap - and one of the ways to do this is to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X