• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ltd Company formation (doing it yourself)"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    My last five contracts have involved EDS at some point in the food chain. I keep seeing the same clauses in their contracts that can be interpreted (were one cynical enough and had enough patience to read and understand a 700 page contract) that no fault can ever be placed at their door. They no doubt take the view it's more cost effective to have garbled contracts and cheap lawyers than actually to deliver a quality service.

Once in a while, of course, they get rumbled and thrown out; sadly never by HMG, who they can use as the cash cow...

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I wonder how much EDS's PI cost would be per year... probably cheaper for them to give backhanders or settle out of court I would imagine....

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Secondly, I can find no reference anywhere to an IT contractor being sued for a PI claim...
    There has been some movement recently in legal circles that suggests that contractors cannot be held soley responcible for IT cock ups in any case. The burden or responcibility rests at least as much with the clents project manager or equivalent for not providing sufficient oversight of the contractors work to avoid the problems.

Not a cast iron defense but it does mean it's not quite so much of a worry.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I got a deal on PI that adds the other bits "for free" (yeah, right). I think there are a few others out there that will do the same - I know the PCG's preferred supplier does (another reason to join - the saving on typical PI cover is more than your annual membership...). Two things to note - most of these cover multiple risks, so if you are unlucky enough to get sued a the same time as fourteen other people, the total cover may not be as high as you think (£100k is guaranteed, the "up to £1m" is variable) but clients only want the pretence so it's not really a problem 99% of the time. Secondly, I can find no reference anywhere to an IT contractor being sued for a PI claim...

Leave a comment:

• marty_boy
    replied
    Then you wonder why I get shirty with newbies...

Forgive the multisyllabic nature of the response but basically:
    • Professional Indemnity insurance - you cock up their systems, they sue you for half a mill, you're covered. Goes hand in hand with;
    • Public Liability (someone trips over your laptop's mains cable and sues for distress) and
    • Employer's Liability (you trip over your own laptop cable and sue YourCo).
    Doesn't anyone do any research any more?
    Thanks for the reply - I was slightly confused as you stated that your PI covered you for all three so wasn’t a 100% sure that you where talking about professional indemnity insurance as I was under the impression all three where separate.

Admittedly I have done zero research on PI as I have just realised that it’s another thing I have to do. Like NEO X I have just set up my own company after initially operating via a Brolly (Parasol).

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Then you wonder why I get shirty with newbies...

Forgive the multisyllabic nature of the response but basically:
    • Professional Indemnity insurance - you cock up their systems, they sue you for half a mill, you're covered. Goes hand in hand with;
    • Public Liability (someone trips over your laptop's mains cable and sues for distress) and
    • Employer's Liability (you trip over your own laptop cable and sue YourCo).
    Doesn't anyone do any research any more?

Leave a comment:

• marty_boy
    replied
    Quick Question

True - my PI includes all three, so I tend to forget the distinction!
    Whats PI ?

Leave a comment:

• neo_x
    replied
    Thanks all who replied.

I will head on over to PCG and see what they have in store for me.

/giddyup

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I wasn't going to say that...

Whatever happened to subtlety and hidden meanings anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    And don't forget the spurs and the cowboy hat...
    Essential, pardner. Don't want any posse mistakin' yuh fur an Indian.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    True - my PI includes all three, so I tend to forget the distinction!

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Get the Guide to Freelancing from www.pcg.org.uk (and seriously consider joining BTW) which will answer most questions. Basically you need the company, VAT registration, bank account and a competent IT-Freelancer-capable accountant (SJD, 1stAccountancy or the like). You would not go far wrong to have anti IR35-investigaion insurance (bundled wth PCG membership or from people like QDOS, but compare them carefully) and possibly PI at between £450 to £800 pa. Ferarri, Rolex, second houses and £3k laptop can wait a few weeks.

In amongst all of that you also need employers liability insurance and third party public liability insurance. you can't legally trade in the UK without the public one and you can't employee people (including yourself without the employee one)

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Nah, they're too easy a target these days. I must be getting old...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Malvolio, I am impressed, you used to be a bit rude to the newbies!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Get the Guide to Freelancing from www.pcg.org.uk (and seriously consider joining BTW) which will answer most questions. Basically you need the company, VAT registration, bank account and a competent IT-Freelancer-capable accountant (SJD, 1stAccountancy or the like). You would not go far wrong to have anti IR35-investigaion insurance (bundled wth PCG membership or from people like QDOS, but compare them carefully) and possibly PI at between £450 to £800 pa. Ferarri, Rolex, second houses and £3k laptop can wait a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X