• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Very cunning direct mail campaign by Brookson"

Collapse

• sleepingwiththelightson
    replied
    I got this too but to be honest this is fairly decent compared to some of the junk I've recieved.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I got this, and today I had a phone call asking me what I thought of it.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I received 4 mailshots the other day. All the 'revolution' mailshot.

It's addressed to me personally, not my business.

I'm reporting them to the MPS, who I'm registered with...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    Its not difficult to get a list of possible contractor companies. You can buy them or even build them yourself. You can go to Companies House website and if you have time do a random search by company number and trawl through a batch of companies and cut and paste the names and addresses of companies that look as if they have potential: Words and phrases like "IT Services", "Projects", "Consultancy / Consultants / Consulting" etc are all likely candidates. You can then send your mailshot out to them. And, as this is public info Hector could already have it if he wanted it - although I don't know what he'd do with it as he already has more information on your company than that.
    I would think that something like Kompass (if it still exists) is better as you can search by industry code, and it's a copy of the Companies House information. We used to use it as ICI as part of our targeted marketing / competitor analysis.

My company name provides what I like to describe as an "aura of mystery", in that it says nothing about the kind of business that we run.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I would be interested in knowing how they compiled the mailing list for this. I'm not sure it's a list I'm happy being on TBH. I shudder to think what hector might do with it.
    Its not difficult to get a list of possible contractor companies. You can buy them or even build them yourself. You can go to Companies House website and if you have time do a random search by company number and trawl through a batch of companies and cut and paste the names and addresses of companies that look as if they have potential: Words and phrases like "IT Services", "Projects", "Consultancy / Consultants / Consulting" etc are all likely candidates. You can then send your mailshot out to them. And, as this is public info Hector could already have it if he wanted it - although I don't know what he'd do with it as he already has more information on your company than that.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Unfortunate juxtaposition of posts there
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I would be interested in knowing how they compiled the mailing list for this. I'm not sure it's a list I'm happy being on TBH. I shudder to think what hector might do with it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
    Handwritten address on the envelope a scrap of paper inside saying 'Hi grey_lady I saw this and thought of you Chris' printed to look like it's handwritten and a magazine 'cutting' with an ad on both sides for Brookson bascially hinting that if you don't use them you might not be protected etc etc

Very realistic looking, so pretty cunning of them.
    Oh, I wondered who it was from - it was sent to MrsF as she is the Company Secretary.

Straight in the recycling pile without even being read.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by teclo View Post
    I got something like that in the post once, addressed to my flat but no name. Inside there was a nude polaroid of some woman and written on the back she said how she "will never forget the time Steve". My name isn't Steve. I still have the pic
    I just got one exactly the same from Chris Cardell, Britiain's leading expert on entrepreneurial success.
    Unfortunate juxtaposition of posts there

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    I just got one exactly the same from Chris Cardell, Britiain's leading expert on entrepreneurial success.

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    I got something like that in the post once, addressed to my flat but no name. Inside there was a nude polaroid of some woman and written on the back she said how she "will never forget the time Steve". My name isn't Steve. I still have the pic

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Although it has got us talking about Brookson so maybe it worked.
    Not really. Being slagged off in front of your target audience probably isn't ideal for any professional company, especially one that you expect honest advice from. We're not talking about Ryanair headline grabbing are we.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Its an old trick. About 10 years ago some marketing "expert" got me to try it. Totally bombed - not one bit of business.

Although it has got us talking about Brookson so maybe it worked.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Went straight to the shredder...

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    It is marketing for a different generation I think.

Older people will think WTF? but the younger ones will think it is cool.
    I didn't. I chucked it in the bin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X