• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "At which point is it worth having the wife as a Director?"

Collapse

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    I take it you mean this rule (lifted from your link):

That's in interesting one, I suppose it all depends on if the HMRC regard owning shares in a private Ltd as an investment or not...
    Anyone know the answer to this? Especially if the shares were gifted and not paid for?
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    Dividend income, whether from a private or a public company will be treated on the tax return as investment income.

Alan
    Well that clears that one up then!

Thanks Alan

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    So she can be a sharedholder without being a director!
    Thank goodness for that. That means I can keep my FTSE 100 tracker pension, without having to go to all those FTSE 100 company board meetings.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    That's in interesting one, I suppose it all depends on if the HMRC regard owning shares in a private Ltd as an investment or not...
    Anyone know the answer to this? Especially if the shares were gifted and not paid for?
    Dividend income, whether from a private or a public company will be treated on the tax return as investment income.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    I think if you receive more tha £10K in dividends (gross) you must complete a form. See here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm. You are classified as having "complex tax affairs".
    I take it you mean this rule (lifted from your link):

Originally posted by hmrc
    have annual income from savings or investments of £10,000 or more (before tax)

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    If her total income does not exceed the higher rate threshold and she isn't a director then there is no SA requirement.
    Care to correct this in the light of Lewis's answer above?

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    If her total income does not exceed the higher rate threshold and she isn't a director then there is no SA requirement.
    I think if you receive more tha £10K in dividends (gross) you must complete a form. See here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm. You are classified as having "complex tax affairs".

Leave a comment:

• slackbloke
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    You referring to self assessment? If she is not a director, just a shareholder, are you saying she doesn't need to fill in a SA?

Where did you get that from?
    It is as Just1morethen stated. The implication from the OP is that they will try and remain below the threshold, so unless the wife has other complicated tax matters, she would not need to complete SA. It is the HMRC regs for SA.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    You referring to self assessment? If she is not a director, just a shareholder, are you saying she doesn't need to fill in a SA?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by slackbloke View Post
    If you make your wife a director then she will have to complete SA.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    What advantage is there is having her as a director? I would have thought that it's just more hassle?
    Limited really, but she signs contracts and other stuff that needs a directors signature. She is proactive in running the buisiness side of things and all decisions made are joint director decisions. In other words, a "proper" family business.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    What advantage is there is having her as a director? I would have thought that it's just more hassle?
    No advantage whatsoever, nada zilch, don't do it.

Leave a comment:

• sage@reillymcmordie
    replied
    wife as director

slackbloke's original response is correct. i would add that HMRC has yet to decide whether to challenge these arrangements as tax evasion. if they do - it might be retrospective. best advice is probably to give yourself a realistic salary (market value) and distribute any reserves in accordance with the dividend structure.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    For our Ltd Co we have a 60/40% share holding with wifey as Co Sec and also a Director. It works for us and keeps us both under the 40% income tax threshold. I also use a hefty monthly company contribution into my SIPP to reduce tax burden.

Leave a comment:

• dave20
    replied
    you should make her a shareholder only. Then before her earnings hit the high rate tax bracket (40,835 including tax free allowance) give the share back to the company. or transfer it to your pet goldfish.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    For our Ltd Co we have a 60/40% share holding with wifey as Co Sec and also a Director. It works for us and keeps us both under the 40% income tax threshold. I also use a hefty monthly company contribution into my SIPP to reduce tax burden.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X