• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IR35 Insurance

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 Insurance"

Collapse

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by pisces View Post
    I don't mean investigation insurance but tax loss insurance. They only sell it to you if it's a no brainer for them.
    I've said this all before on past threads but remember a (PCG) case was fairly recently lost because the end-client changed their story at the last minute. It's never a no-brainer, there is always a chance (however small) you might lose, put simply if you want peace of mind and to protect many years worth of dividends just pay the few quid more ....

You have to put the cost into perspective, I lose more money by taking a day off sick! I lose more money on BUPA which I have never used. I haven't claimed on my car insurance for over 10 years. But I feel relaxed about driving, know that I and my family won't have to wait for an operation and also that I won't have HMRC take tens of thousands of pounds from me for IR35. Peace of mind ... that's what it is all about.

You don't need to agree with me but for the benefit of other people reading these threads I don't think it is fair to keep saying that IR35 cases can't be lost anymore if you are professionally represented, which is essentially the underlying message. Ask the person that lost if they think it is worthless or not. I bet they thought "It won't happen to me".

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    Well, I wonder if you would say that after a 3 year IR35 investigation which you had to deal with all on your own You might relish the chance to take on all the work a case involves (even when innocent) but I and many others don't. This insurance provides great peace of mind!!

I don't mean investigation insurance but tax loss insurance. They only sell it to you if it's a no brainer for them.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I think we've agreed to disagree dozens of times on whether TLC35 is redundant or not, you'll never get me to give it up
    Wouldn't dream of trying. Bet you never use it though...

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Don't disagree, but I think he was talking about TLC35, which I've always thought was a bit redundant.
    I think we've agreed to disagree dozens of times on whether TLC35 is redundant or not, you'll never get me to give it up

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Well, I wonder if you would say that after a 3 year IR35 investigation which you had to deal with all on your own You might relish the chance to take on all the work a case involves (even when innocent) but I and many others don't. This insurance provides great peace of mind!!
    Don't disagree, but I think he was talking about TLC35, which I've always thought was a bit redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    Fact is, anyone that satisfys your criteria doesn't need the insurance in the first place.
    This argument has been done to death before, so I'll keep it brief. Our 'criteria' is far from detailed - we simply ask a series of 'yes or no' type questions relating to the working practices and the running of a contractor's business.

IR35 is all down to interpretation and we don't know how HMRC will view specific areas. We have a good track record in IR35 enquiries, but that hides the fact that many cases are incredibly hard to defend. It's impossible to guarantee the successful outcome of any enquiry, especially with the more recent concern relating to upper level contracts.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Fact is, anyone that satisfys your criteria doesn't need the insurance in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• exbrm
    replied
    No-Brainer .......

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
    We don't keep statistics to that degree. However, we have successfully defended over 1000 IR35 enquiries and a significant number of those involved directors who took low salary payments.

For obvious reasons the Revenue prefer enquiring into contractors who would be subject to the highest tax loss. This means that when, reviewing P35s, they will opt for those with nominal payments rather than a 'reasonable' level. It's a no-brainer for them.
    Thanks Qdos for the free advice. Pitty the No-Brainer bit does not sink in with some.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    That's not why we set the minimum level. We are simply looking to minimise the risk of enquiry for contractors. There is no hidden agenda.

A salary between £9.5k and £15k will increase the standard excess from £250 to £500. £15k is optimum and is considered an acceptable level of salary for industries across the board.

As Darren states, it does not have any direct implications on IR35, but with a policy worth £100k plus we need to satisfy underwriters that we are not taking undue risk.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    PCG's latest win just came through. It's been running for six years... The guy is taking Christmas off to get drunk . We'll get the full story next year, but can you imagine having that kind of threat over your head for that long?

That's why PCG are kicking off a campaign to get HMRC subject to a duty of care - what they do and how they do it is currently indefensible.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    They take so long because a) the Revenue go into a huge amount of detail and b) they are incredibly slow to respond. IR35 enquiries are rarely short. I am dealing with one case that started as a PAYE review over two years ago and the Revenue have only just kicked off a specific IR35 enquiry.

You get nothing back, which is why representation insurance is so worthwhile.
    PCG's latest win just came through. It's been running for six years... The guy is taking Christmas off to get drunk . We'll get the full story next year, but can you imagine having that kind of threat over your head for that long?

That's why PCG are kicking off a campaign to get HMRC subject to a duty of care - what they do and how they do it is currently indefensible.

Leave a comment:

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    I really can't imagine why it would take that long if your accounts and working practices are clearly outside though.

If you're eventually proved innocent, do you get any costs back?
    They take so long because a) the Revenue go into a huge amount of detail and b) they are incredibly slow to respond. IR35 enquiries are rarely short. I am dealing with one case that started as a PAYE review over two years ago and the Revenue have only just kicked off a specific IR35 enquiry.

You get nothing back, which is why representation insurance is so worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Because, insured or not, being subject to an enquiry is never nice. With IR35, in can take three years to prove your innocence and I can't even begin to imagine what the stress is like for clients, even when we are dealing with HMRC.
    I really can't imagine why it would take that long if your accounts and working practices are clearly outside though.

If you're eventually proved innocent, do you get any costs back?

Leave a comment:

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MickeyP View Post
    Meaning that it's possible to take out TLC35 on less than £9.5k? Perhaps just more expensive?
    No, that's incorrect. For TLC the salary has to be above £9.5k.

Freelancer Tax Protection, which is representation cover, does not require any set salary level.

Leave a comment:

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post

If you are clearly and catagorically outside IR35, then why fear an investigation?

That is an innocent question by the way, and yes I did recently have my contract and working practices reviewd by Qdos.
    Because, insured or not, being subject to an enquiry is never nice. With IR35, in can take three years to prove your innocence and I can't even begin to imagine what the stress is like for clients, even when we are dealing with HMRC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X