• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Insurance

Is there any company that offers something like TLC35 by QDOS (i.e. covers investigation fees + possible unpaid tax due to IR35) that doesn't insist on PAYE salary being £9.5k or above?

p.s I don't want to get into the is it or is it not necessary debate. Only if its available.

IR35 Guarantee

Yes, both Accountax and ourselves provide an IR35 Guarantee Scheme covering all tax/NIC, costs, etc.

If you need further details please drop me an email.
    Last edited by Darren@UptonAccountants; 12 December 2007, 09:28.

Comment

what dies this insurance cover -- unpaid tax , interest plus penalties and cost of investigation ?

Comment

Ir35

Providing we approve the contract through the normal read over process, covers all tax, NICs, penalties, interest and all professional fees.

Full details of T&C, etc are available on request, etc, etc!

Comment

Why the PAYE restriction anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
            Providing we approve the contract through the normal read over process, covers all tax, NICs, penalties, interest and all professional fees.

Full details of T&C, etc are available on request, etc, etc!

I don't quite understand this though, surely the key is not the contract but your working practices, my contact is ultra generic and ticks the boxes for IR35 but I know full well my working practices show something quite different, the employer has direction and control, I have little or no right of substitution, they say when I can be on holiday the same as they say for 3-4 limited companies I work with etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by damo111176 View Post
              I don't quite understand this though, surely the key is not the contract but your working practices, my contact is ultra generic and ticks the boxes for IR35 but I know full well my working practices show something quite different, the employer has direction and control, I have little or no right of substitution, they say when I can be on holiday the same as they say for 3-4 limited companies I work with etc etc etc
              I imagine most insurers will look at the working practices as well as the contract. We base our risk assessment solely on the WP now - as you say, a good written contract is of little help if it is not reflected in the true facts.

We require a salary level of £9.5k+ because, in our experience, low salary and high dividend payments increase the risk of enquiry.
              Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
                I imagine most insurers will look at the working practices as well as the contract. We base our risk assessment solely on the WP now - as you say, a good written contract is of little help if it is not reflected in the true facts.

We require a salary level of £9.5k+ because, in our experience, low salary and high dividend payments increase the risk of enquiry.

Is that true? I spoke to an accountant who said there was no conclusive evidence of that at all.

Also, if all is above board, why worry about an enquiry?

I'm not disagreeing, just enquiring

Comment

Ir35

No real evidence to support this but is allegedly one of the things they look at when choosing likely victims.

However, even if it does reduce the likelihood of enquiry, it's not an IR35 indicator and has no bearing on status.

With most insurance underwritten products, they look at potential risks and ways of mitigating those risks and by increasing the salary this may acheived. However other products are not insurance company underwritten but are guarantees.
                  Last edited by Darren@UptonAccountants; 13 December 2007, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
                    Is that true? I spoke to an accountant who said there was no conclusive evidence of that at all.

Also, if all is above board, why worry about an enquiry?

I'm not disagreeing, just enquiring
                    It is effectively a way of increasing the excess payment. If you pay a salary of £10K, you will have paid the first £2K tax that would otherwise have been claimable under the policy.

Comment

Working...
                    X