• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "submit ex-clients references to agents"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    I either give the name of another contractor as mentioned above, or else the name of any former agencies that I have worked through. If there's someone at a former client who is happy to do it (warned in advance) then I will do it, but I won't go to the former clients HR department even if their rules stipulate that - it's a waste of time.
    I always give agents the former clients' HR departments cos I know they are fishing. Lots of agents admit it openly, the ones who don't but are still fishing get very rude and end the conversation, and the ones with actual roles don't care.

Plus with two of my former clients they will only agreed to give out references to agencies after I've contacted the client. So there is no point in the agent contacting them first cos they will get nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    I either give the name of another contractor as mentioned above, or else the name of any former agencies that I have worked through. If there's someone at a former client who is happy to do it (warned in advance) then I will do it, but I won't go to the former clients HR department even if their rules stipulate that - it's a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by clwd View Post
    Does it mean that 95% of agents are fishing if they ask for references before forwarding your CV to the clients?
    Probably

Actually, how can I really know they have real jobs?
    You don't.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• clwd
    replied
    Does it mean that 95% of agents are fishing if they ask for references before forwarding your CV to the clients? Actually, how can I really know they have real jobs?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Interesting! an agent requested me to provide the references even before fordwarding my CV to the client because she needs to check my references. She also commented that she makes sure I was good at my work based on my ex-clients comments. Otherwise, she can't forward my CV to her clients. The main reason is that I also represent her.
    Did you guys get any interviews after providing the references to the agents?
    I know of one agency like that, but they will sound out other contractors rather than needing a client reference. If they don't get a good word, then they won't represent you.

I would work with them any day, though.

Leave a comment:

• bobsyouruncle
    replied
    Interesting! an agent requested me to provide the references even before fordwarding my CV to the client because she needs to check my references. She also commented that she makes sure I was good at my work based on my ex-clients comments. Otherwise, she can't forward my CV to her clients. The main reason is that I also represent her.
    yeah, I was asked to provide a reference before my CV was forwarded, and I got an interview, and got the contract (they mentioned in the interview that the reference was a factor)...

i think maybe other people on here are being overly cynical...or maybe not

Leave a comment:

• clwd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Never give references to the client. If you get a bad reference you can rely on agents to lie to the client and say everything was fine, if the client contacts them directly then you could be in trouble!
    Oh you cynic!

Why would you give the name of someone who might give you a bad reference though?

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    Tell them that you'll give the references to the client. If they won't agree to this, then there is no position in the first place.
    Never give references to the client. If you get a bad reference you can rely on agents to lie to the client and say everything was fine, if the client contacts them directly then you could be in trouble!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Not the behaviour I'd have expected from them.

What was quite entertaining was the that subject of the reference and I were sharing a taxi to the airport at the time of the phone call. I threw in as many buzz words and management bs as I could. I think I even used the words synergy and paradigm... *hangs head in shame*

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I was team lead on a contract, and toward the end of the project, we let some of the contractors go. One of them went for a contract with Progressive, who asked for references, so I volunteered. I was somewhat stunned when a few days later I got a call from them, asking for that reference, but without doing any fishing for leads!
    Blimey - Aggressive must be slipping!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I was team lead on a contract, and toward the end of the project, we let some of the contractors go. One of them went for a contract with Progressive, who asked for references, so I volunteered. I was somewhat stunned when a few days later I got a call from them, asking for that reference, but without doing any fishing for leads!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Now to be fair I did this once.

No the agent didnt go fishing (S Beechey @ Practicus).

But the majority of agents would.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Of course you can often do a bit of research and figure out who it is.
    Like cut and paste the company description from the advert into Google:

"We are the largest XYZ producer in Europe..."

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Agents won't tell you the client's name until they absolutely have to for fear that you'll cut them out of the deal and try to go direct. I don't think there's anything abnormal there.

Of course you can often do a bit of research and figure out who it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X