• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract requires relocation"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    And dont forget to claim your 40p per mile to drive back and forth to your english home at the weekends (even if you dont). Every little helps.
    There is a mileage limit per year, though, so make sure that you don't keep claiming at 40p once you go past that point.

Oh, and English, don't

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    And dont forget to claim your 40p per mile to drive back and forth to your english home at the weekends (even if you dont). Every little helps.
    One day, one day my friend Gordon is going to get you...

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• robnjc
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'd ensure that Sky and TV License were "included" in the rent. Most landlords will be amenable to this.
    this is an approach that can be used in a number of ways. I well remember a 6 month stay at the Brighton Metropole which included english breakfast and 3 course carvery meal every day, but was billed as "special bed and breakfast". As dinner was supposed to come out of our daily allowance (I was permie at the time) we all made a packet that summer...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Because I feel my place of work is at the clients site not the house where I'm living.
    Because I believe Gordon is God and I want to give him all my money.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Because I feel my place of work is at the clients site not the house where I'm living.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    If you are there for business then why should you pay for the utilities personally?

Luxuries (sky, etc) yes, but utilties (gas, water, electric) then put through the company.

Leave a comment:

• BlueTans
    replied
    Sky is not an option - my other half is Scottish and won't let it in the house!! Mind you with the whole of Scotland to explore who has time for Sky?

My main concern is what Mr HMRC will think. My inclination is to put the rent and utilities (including phone and broadband) under the company and pay the TV licence myself. I just don't want Mr HMRC to suddenly demand 2/7ths of the costs from me as an individual! The contract is already signed so claiming expenses from the client is not an option, I knew I would have to absorb the costs its just whether it is the company or me that needs to pay!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Scotty land is a lovely place you'll not need Sky.

I do it in reverse when working in Englandshire, rent goes through the company but I do not see why utilities should go through the company, I've usually paid them myself. Have you asked your client with helping out with the rent? Honestly have done it once and got it them to pay it. Don't ask don't get...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'd ensure that Sky and TV License were "included" in the rent. Most landlords will be amenable to this.

Leave a comment:

• fzbucks
    replied
    I put everything to do with the house I rent through the business - except for the TV licence and sky

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Yes.

I'd claim it all not just 5/7ths.

Leave a comment:

• BlueTans
    started a topic Contract requires relocation

Contract requires relocation

Newbie here! I contract through a Limited company of which I am sole director. I live in Southern England but my new 6 month contract is in Scotland - which is a bit of a hike! What is the situation if I take out a 6 month let in the companies name in Scotland whilst keeping my house in the South as my permanent residence? Would I be able to put all the cost plus bills through the company or would I have to deem the weekends as personal use and only be able to claim 5/7ths through the company? Obviously a 6 month let is far cheaper than the current accomodation, meal and travel costs. Anyone able to help?

Working...
X