• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Payment via loan

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Payment via loan"

Collapse

• Foresight One
    replied
    Foresight One

I appreciate that some or most of you will probably think we are new boys on the block, but we’re not.

We have been operating in the contracting industry for over 15 years now with both UK and overseas based contracts.

The company is administered by a firm of Chartered Accountants and this guarantees not only compliance but the necessary skills to provide a comprehensive quality service.

We have and are currently dealing with most of the major contracting agencies both in the UK and abroad.

Our companies will be fully compliant and tax and NI will be deducted as the contractors will be treated as employees. All relevant documentation PAYE documentation will be taken care of (P60’s, P45’s etc)

I appreciate that this service will not appeal to those who can administer their own companies where there are still significant advantages in voting a large dividend and paying little or no NI.

However the service we are offering is for those not confident in administering their own company and all that comes with the responsibilities of being a director (accounts preparation, tax computation and submission, VAT registration and submission, statutory Annual Return filing, PAYE registration, monthly and annual PAYE returns etc etc)

The penalties for non submission or incorrect submission of the above are severe and Government agency returns can sometime be technically difficult, this is why accountants such as us spend years obtaining qualified status and maintaining our qualification with regular updates.

The other reason we are providing this service is for those who may feel they are competent in running their own company but would prefer to concentrate on what they do well, i.e. their own contract work!

As you will gather from the above this service is very similar to most on the market so why should you choose us? We do not charge a fee, not a bean! The service and set up is free. Why? Well we earn a significant amount of interest holding Government monies in our bank account, but we invariably pay our contractors same day. There are no hidden extras, but many contractors engage us to provide additional services, e.g. consultancy, estate planning, holiday home ownership etc. etc.

As I have mentioned previously, if you would like further information or reassurance in connection with our services then please e-mail me on [email protected].

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    seems like a very nice chap to me - all newbies should use his services..

Leave a comment:

• bangface
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    Nice website mate, we're really gonna trust you with our money ..... like a
    The crazy thing is so many probably will.....

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Foresight One
    Dear all

There are still compliant solutions out there for contractors working in the UK. If you are serious about looking for an advisor then please contact me by PM ([email protected]) and I would be happy to discuss various solutions based on your circumstances.
    Nice website mate, we're really gonna trust you with our money ..... like a

Leave a comment:

• Foresight One
    replied
    Foresight One

Dear all

There are still compliant solutions out there for contractors working in the UK. If you are serious about looking for an advisor then please contact me by PM ([email protected]) and I would be happy to discuss various solutions based on your circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• tobim
    replied
    They used to operate a dodgy foreign loan scheme through this company too:
    ICENI FINANCE LIMITED
    RUNNYMEDE MALTHOUSE
    OFF HUMMER ROAD
    EGHAM
    SURREY TW20 9BD
    Company No. 04142904

I also heard that all their key staff left them at Xmas, I would be wary before using a company like this

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    The TekPaY loan is an employee loan, i.e. not one of the (previously) more common forex loans. The loan is not written off regularly, and in fact it is expected in the future that you must either close off the loan or allow it to lapse and hope HMRC never notice.

Employee loans must be declared in your SA and will attract BIK taxation.

Sound similar to Norla?

Leave a comment:

• bangface
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Incidentally EBTs are illegal in the UK now. You can have an offshore one, of course, just don't bring any of the money back into the UK. Which makes paying the mortgage a bit tricky...
    Tekpay is the front end to Computer Contracts

COMPUTER CONTRACTS LIMITED
    RUNNYMEDE MALTHOUSE
    OFF HUMMER ROAD
    EGHAM
    TW20 9BD
    Company No. 05330408

Date of Incorporation: 12/01/2005

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

TEKPAY (UK) LIMITED
    3000 HILLSWOOD DRIVE
    HILLSWOOD BUSINESS PARK
    CHERTSEY
    SURREY KT16 0RS
    Company No. 05345045

Date of Incorporation: 27/01/2005

Their other company IT-Contracts Finance is based in Egham and is the back end to Kinsella Solutions, who are based in Guernsey along with Keypay Solutions.

There are two of those on companies house:

IT-CONTRACTS FINANCE LIMITED
    RUNNYMEDE MALTHOUSE, RUNNEMEDE
    ROAD, EGHAM
    SURREY
    TW20 9BD
    Company No. 05013100

Date of Incorporation: 12/01/2004

IT CONTRACTS LIMITED
    RUNNYMEDE MALTHOUSE
    OFF HUMMER ROAD
    EGHAM
    TW20 9BD
    Company No. 05330095

Date of Incorporation: 12/01/2005

Keypay Solutions which is part of the 'Kinsella Facility' is also the front end for IT-Contracts Finance

Payroll is handled by Target or Focus Services depending on which company you are with and are also based in the UK

I believe all the UK operating companies have the same Director and company secretary.

If you call Tekpay, Kinsella or Keypay you get to talk to exactly the same people, Jane or Jo. A guy called Martin is also involved. I am not sure who is involved in the day to day operation of the UK based companies. You are not supposed to talk to anyone at the UK based companies, something to do with control and a conflict of interest!

Leave a comment:

• marcosscriven
    replied
    For the past three years I went through a similar scheme ran by Norla Consulting. I then got a letter in March saying my 04/05 tax return was being investigated, specifically the 'employee benefits' section - IE the interest free loans I recieved.

It then turned out the whole company was being investigated to a high level, the outcome of which has not been determined. They selected a handful of the contractors involved for very detailed investigation, but fortunately I was not one of them.

The accountants involved are very large and well respected. I expect if anything was considered illegals, things would have been shut down immediately.

My opinion is that this is HMRC trying to close down the interest-free loan/EBT loophole, and that we will see another change to the laws next April. I very much doubt retrospective action.

Having said all that, I decided to go PSC in this new tax year, and feel much happier about it. Also, I got 84% of gross income with the loan scheme, whereas now I am not expecting that much less. I'm outside IR35, so there are no issues taking a decent PAYE and taking the rest as dividends.

Hope that helps

Marcos

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    EBT and IDT are not the same, hence TekPay can carry on [for now].

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by PAG
    then how do you think TEKPAY operates, if EBT are illegal. check out their site.
    They are not illegal. However irrespective of how they are operated in their own jurisdiction users of them in the UK are obliged as a result of the finance act to do certain things. These things affect their individual taxtion positions. This certainly resaults in income tax becoming payable on income received from the trust.

In the case of loans it was OK, however there were some recent changes which I *think* mean these need to be declared in the same way as income. Since I don't receive anything in this way I don't care.

If you believe me I am sure you can try and track down a reference to clarify the position. If you don't then you have discovered some form of magic alchemy (I accept it is possible) where in order to avoid tax all that is required is to reclassify income as a loan. Somehow I think HMRC have been onto that for a while and have finally nailed it (but I am pretty sure it used to work until recently).

Leave a comment:

• PAG
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    If you are a FT and resident in the UK, you have to pay appropriate PAYE and NICs on all your income, regardless of source. It is your responsibility to do so. Ignorance is not a defence to a charge of tax evasion (although it may be a defence as to why people sign up to these schemes)

As to it being a loan, if it is never intended to be repaid, and is regularly written off as a bad debt, Hector would no doubt consider that to be evasion as well, since it is a deliberate concealment of earned income.

Incidentally EBTs are illegal in the UK now. You can have an offshore one, of course, just don't bring any of the money back into the UK. Which makes paying the mortgage a bit tricky...
    then how do you think TEKPAY operates, if EBT are illegal. check out their site.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by PAG
    I am not sure how would you declare this on your SA return. " questions.

1. Because you are FT employee you may not receive SA Return. So you can play dumb 'i did not know' if they come after you.

2. since it is a loan and not income, do you have to declare it ???
    If you are a FT and resident in the UK, you have to pay appropriate PAYE and NICs on all your income, regardless of source. It is your responsibility to do so. Ignorance is not a defence to a charge of tax evasion (although it may be a defence as to why people sign up to these schemes)

As to it being a loan, if it is never intended to be repaid, and is regularly written off as a bad debt, Hector would no doubt consider that to be evasion as well, since it is a deliberate concealment of earned income.

Last edited by malvolio; 12 April 2007, 14:28. Reason: Why can I neve type '"incidetnally" right first time...

Leave a comment:

• PAG
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    I guess that offers some protection. But the written contracts can easily be irrelevant of course.

Also, I seem to recall that there were some recent changes which meant that these payments had to be declared on an individuals SA return and income tax paid. The income tax was then repaid when/if the payment was repaid. [The fact the there is specific changes to the treatment of these payments makes me inclined to think that the scheme was in fact workable]
    I am not sure how would you declare this on your SA return. " questions.

1. Because you are FT employee you may not receive SA Return. So you can play dumb 'i did not know' if they come after you.

2. since it is a loan and not income, do you have to declare it ???

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by PAG
    What you say is correct. To cover that, read following excerpt from their QA section.

Q7: Will the contract under which my services would be provided be acceptable?

A:The customers/agency contracts, are perused and any detrimental clauses are questioned. The contracts with clients or their agents will only be signed if they have been perused and, in our view, found to be reasonable. However, we cannot guarantee this and would make you aware of any potential problems. We believe that some parties just sign the relevant documentation without question and consider that such practices would not be in your best interests.

What surprises me is that there are lot of people who has participated this scheme !!!
    I guess that offers some protection. But the written contracts can easily be irrelevant of course.

Also, I seem to recall that there were some recent changes which meant that these payments had to be declared on an individuals SA return and income tax paid. The income tax was then repaid when/if the payment was repaid. [The fact the there is specific changes to the treatment of these payments makes me inclined to think that the scheme was in fact workable]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X