• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reverse charge VAT calculations"

Collapse

• Contreras
    replied
    I've only needed to do RC VAT for electronic services (vps hosting) so far. These are my notes cribbed from an HMRC page somewhere past:
    Reverse charge (services): You calculate the amount of VAT (output tax) on the full value of the services supplied to you, and then enter on your VAT Return the amount of VAT you calculated in box 1, and if you’re entitled to reclaim the VAT on your purchase of these supplies, also put the same figure in box 4 (this in effect cancels out the figure in box 1), full value of the supply in both box 6 and box 7.
    For example you have given the supplier your VAT no., they sent you a VAT invoice for £12, and the invoice states that VAT is reverse charged.

Net: £12 (added to both Box 6 and Box 7)
    VAT: £12 x 20% = £2.40 (added to both Box 1 and Box 4)

Box 5 = Box 4 minus Box 1. So it's a nil sum game as far as VAT owed to HMRC.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

You treat the cost as net of VAT, so you calculate VAT on top. Your accountant is wrong.

And yes, the deemed value of the supplies does go in boxes 6 and 7.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-f...e-70012#para46
    Thanks for confirmation, yeah this is the conclusion I came to after doing my research.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post

Right so it's 11.99 * 0.2 = 2.4 VAT

My accountant seems to think that it is 11.99 / 1.2 = 9.99 and 2 VAT so 2 goes to box 1 and 4 and 9.99 goes to box 6 and box 7
    You treat the cost as net of VAT, so you calculate VAT on top. Your accountant is wrong.

And yes, the deemed value of the supplies does go in boxes 6 and 7.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-f...e-70012#para46

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Out of interest what are you applying the reverse charge to? I thought the list was very limited?
    It’s not limited at all. Any services purchased from outside the U.K. where the U.K. is considered the place of supply are subject to the reverse charge. This could be software, web hosting, consultancy services and other professional fees etc.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Out of interest what are you applying the reverse charge to? I thought the list was very limited?
    Buying development services from abroad

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    According to how Xero manages reverse charge transactions, my Zoom payments of 11.99 have an extra 2.40 added and both values go into Box 1, Box 4, Box 6 and Box 7 so the net effect is nil.

Xero has a VAT code option called 'Reverse Charge Expenses' and it automagically does all the necessary entries for my VAT return.
    Right so it's 11.99 * 0.2 = 2.4 VAT

My accountant seems to think that it is 11.99 / 1.2 = 9.99 and 2 VAT so 2 goes to box 1 and 4 and 9.99 goes to box 6 and box 7

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    According to how Xero manages reverse charge transactions, my Zoom payments of 11.99 have an extra 2.40 added and both values go into Box 1, Box 4, Box 6 and Box 7 so the net effect is nil.

Xero has a VAT code option called 'Reverse Charge Expenses' and it automagically does all the necessary entries for my VAT return.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    started a topic Reverse charge VAT calculations

Reverse charge VAT calculations

It has become crystal clear that my accountant is completely clueless about reverse charge VAT so I am pretty much having to do this myself. Just wondering if anyone here had experience with it and could check my calculations..

revenue exc VAT 50k, so vat is 10k
    all purchases exc VAT 8k, vat reclaimed 600

In a normal situation VAT payable is 10k - 600 = 9400

But 5k was charged by a contractor abroad so we apply reverse charge rules

5k * 0.2 = 1000 reverse charge VAT

So Box 1 becomes 10k + 1000 = 11000
    Box 4 becomes 600 + 1000 = 1600
    So Box 5 (total payable) remains unchanged 11000 - 1600 = 9400

However from what have read boxes 6 and 7 are also affected. In a normal scenario Box 6 is 50k and Box 7 is 8k. Am I correct to understand that 5k is also added to Box 6 and Box 7? Even though box 7 ALREADY includes the 5k since it has been paid.

Working...
X