• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Right to Represent?"

Collapse

• luxCon
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You do realise a role can't be inside AND outside so there is something wrong here don't you? Everything you puyt after that is pointless as he needs to find out what the situation with the role is. No point agreeing, telling any agent. They can't be giving him different determinations for the same role. The rates would be the last of his problems if that's whats going on.
    Whether the role is the same or not is not the point I was making. I did actually say (Chances are its not).

The point is as contractors once we agree a rate, thats what we agree to be our rate, our worth and the value of our time. No point being concerned about what deals going on between the agent and other parties.

Would someone working for PWC on say a £50k salary be concerned that he is being charged out at £2,000 a day and go complain to the HR?

And say if I was to sell my second hand car for say £2,000, and a week later I see it being sold at the local garage for £5,000, I wouldnt think I was done. I agreed the car was £2,000 and thats the end of the story as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by luxCon View Post
    So what even if it is the same role (Chances are its not). You agreed to rate £500 and thats the contract, and more importantly thats the value you put on yourself. If the same role is out there for 700 so be it, you agreed and thats it.

If you thought the role is worth 700, you should have told the first agent Im not taking this role short of 700 and took your chances.
    You do realise a role can't be inside AND outside so there is something wrong here don't you? Everything you puyt after that is pointless as he needs to find out what the situation with the role is. No point agreeing, telling any agent. They can't be giving him different determinations for the same role. The rates would be the last of his problems if that's whats going on.

Leave a comment:

• luxCon
    replied
    So what even if it is the same role (Chances are its not). You agreed to rate £500 and thats the contract, and more importantly thats the value you put on yourself. If the same role is out there for 700 so be it, you agreed and thats it.

If you thought the role is worth 700, you should have told the first agent Im not taking this role short of 700 and took your chances.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    So have both agents told you who the client is, and you have two identical job specs confirming these are indeed the same role at the same place for the same team?

Sounds to me you've spotted two different roles that just happen to be similar but not the same.

Get all the facts before firing up the conspiracy generator.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sbutton View Post

Well it's entirely possible that Agent A is not telling the truth. They are quite famous, and large and seem to put out a lot of adverts for roles which never amount to anything. Their name rhymes with Dropus, without giving too much away. I've noticed this in the past, and even made a note on the spreadsheets I keep when hunting for contracts... but stupidly didn't make the link until after I had given the RTR. After that I went and looked back through my sheet.
    Getting the IR35 status wrong is beyond not telling the truth. It's misrepresentation. I very much doubt even agents would go that far.

Leave a comment:

• sbutton
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    How can it be the same gig if one is outside and one is inside? Makes no sense. I would speak to each agent and get a role profile and any other information that would allow you to decide if they are the same gig or not.
    Well it's entirely possible that Agent A is not telling the truth. They are quite famous, and large and seem to put out a lot of adverts for roles which never amount to anything. Their name rhymes with Dropus, without giving too much away. I've noticed this in the past, and even made a note on the spreadsheets I keep when hunting for contracts... but stupidly didn't make the link until after I had given the RTR. After that I went and looked back through my sheet.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    How can it be the same gig if one is outside and one is inside? Makes no sense. I would speak to each agent and get a role profile and any other information that would allow you to decide if they are the same gig or not.

Leave a comment:

• sbutton
    started a topic Right to Represent?

Right to Represent?

Hi,

I've had agency A call me about a contract for a medium rate £500 for outside IR35 (for example). I've given them the right to represent. Next, I've seen an advert from Agent B for a similar looking role for a decent rate of £700 but inside IR35. Speaking to Agent B, they don't seem to think that Agent A even has the role.

Something fishy is going on. Is it possible that Agent A has contacted a number of people with the role speculatively, so that they can then act as an intermediary with Agent B, taking their cut?

If I decide I want to pull out of the Right to Represent with Agent A, is this going to put me into a legally difficult position?

Is it also possible that Agency A are just collecting "right to represent" emails from people, to block them from applying? That would explain why they are saying it's outside of IR35.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Working...
X