• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Aircon for 100% dedicated home office"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    As am I. I am beginning to think that this is a sincerely held belief. Go figure...
    Are you thinking shirt tucked into underwear type?

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I'm concerned that he may not be deliberately trolling.
    As am I. I am beginning to think that this is a sincerely held belief. Go figure...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    from the guy that does nothing but troll and talk bollox
    I'm concerned that he may not be deliberately trolling.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Finance Contractor View Post
    ..... from the guy that wears trolling like a badge of honour.......
    from the guy that does nothing but troll and talk bollox

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That's somewhat unfair.

Quite a few of us thought IPSE were the organisation to pin our flags to. They had good provenance and many gave them the benefit of the doubt as things changed. There is absolutely no shame in changing your mind about anything - it's a sign of maturity to acknowledge that times and ways change such that a previously held opinion is no longer correct.

I presume, by your statement, that you have always been 100% spot on, error free and without any change of mind/heart for your entire life and are therefore fully qualified to be casting that stone. I doubt it but happy to see fully documented evidence...
    https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/0...s-change-mind/

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Very true from the guy that wears trolling like a badge of honour. Just like you were banging the bell of IPSE for years. Until it got proven wrong. Then all of a sudden you changed tact and your signature now mocks the same organisation you pushed for years.

In a couple of years your signature will no doubt include the downsides of Covid-19 tax planning. Just like your foresight saw IPSE coming.

It is a warm day however. Best time to put your expenses in to an incorporated company to get air conditioning for your ‘home’.....
    Off you pop Sweetie, the grown-ups are talking.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    A very ironic interpretation you have given the times we live in. Maybe the contractor community deserves IR35 if it’s position on everything HMRC related is ‘we thought it was right until we were told it was wrong’.

There is a thing called personal responsibility. Riding every piece of ‘advice’ to maximise tax advantages until being told it is wrong is counter intuitive beyond belief. You can mock me all you want but this is an easy ride for too many given they get away with ‘okay, well I didn’t know’ while actual limited companies out there wouldn’t claim for the exact same expenses.

I get it, maximise tax blah blah blah. But picking specific pages out of HMRC’s website without the pre-requisite to get to that page and then claiming ignorance can only go so far.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    A very ironic interpretation you have given the times we live in. Maybe the contractor community deserves IR35 if it’s position on everything HMRC related is ‘we thought it was right until we were told it was wrong’.

There is a thing called personal responsibility. Riding every piece of ‘advice’ to maximise tax advantages until being told it is wrong is counter intuitive beyond belief. You can mock me all you want but this is an easy ride for too many given they get away with ‘okay, well I didn’t know’ while actual limited companies out there wouldn’t claim for the exact same expenses.

I get it, maximise tax blah blah blah. But picking specific pages out of HMRC’s website without the pre-requisite to get to that page and then claiming ignorance can only go so far.
    What? I was talking about your ipse comment. IHNFC what you're now spouting about

Leave a comment:

• Finance Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That's somewhat unfair.

Quite a few of us thought IPSE were the organisation to pin our flags to. They had good provenance and many gave them the benefit of the doubt as things changed. There is absolutely no shame in changing your mind about anything - it's a sign of maturity to acknowledge that times and ways change such that a previously held opinion is no longer correct.

I presume, by your statement, that you have always been 100% spot on, error free and without any change of mind/heart for your entire life and are therefore fully qualified to be casting that stone. I doubt it but happy to see fully documented evidence...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Very true from the guy that wears trolling like a badge of honour. Just like you were banging the bell of IPSE for years. Until it got proven wrong. Then all of a sudden you changed tact and your signature now mocks the same organisation you pushed for years.

In a couple of years your signature will no doubt include the downsides of Covid-19 tax planning. Just like your foresight saw IPSE coming.

It is a warm day however. Best time to put your expenses in to an incorporated company to get air conditioning for your ‘home’.....
    That's somewhat unfair.

Leave a comment:

• Finance Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Thanks. This is where I came into this discussion and I've seen nothing to change my opinion. Others, like our esteemed financial contractor can hide under the bedclothes if they so wish, but they're missing out on a great deal of tax planning if they choose to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Anyone want to buy a a/c unit? Recently purchased but no longer required.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    ...People can read the legislation and HMRC manual and make their own mind up based on their own circumstances...
    Thanks. This is where I came into this discussion and I've seen nothing to change my opinion. Others, like our esteemed financial contractor can hide under the bedclothes if they so wish, but they're missing out on a great deal of tax planning if they choose to do so.
    Last edited by wattaj; 11 May 2020, 11:56. Reason: Speillng.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    It appears I and my accountant have both been wrong. My company has purchased computers, a desk, and a chair for use in my home office. Since this equipment / furniture is used in my personal home rather than in premises owned by the company, apparently these are not legitimate business expenses? Ok....

The a/c unit is more likely to be challenged by HMRC than some other things. It would be more clear if you have a 6 month WFH contract over the summer and you took out a 6 month lease on an a/c unit. That would clearly be legitimate and for the purposes of facilitating productive home-working.

Purchasing it puts it into a more questionable area because it's going to be harder to make the case that it's exclusively a business purchase. The room in which it is used is presumably not going to be 100% for business (because of the cap gains on selling your house issue) and the fact that it is still going to be there when you aren't working from home, and presumably you'll still use it, makes it a harder sell if HMRC comes asking. For the amount of tax you save, I probably wouldn't take the risk, personally.
    I agree that renting would be less risky.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    It appears I and my accountant have both been wrong. My company has purchased computers, a desk, and a chair for use in my home office. Since this equipment / furniture is used in my personal home rather than in premises owned by the company, apparently these are not legitimate business expenses? Ok....

The a/c unit is more likely to be challenged by HMRC than some other things. It would be more clear if you have a 6 month WFH contract over the summer and you took out a 6 month lease on an a/c unit. That would clearly be legitimate and for the purposes of facilitating productive home-working.

Purchasing it puts it into a more questionable area because it's going to be harder to make the case that it's exclusively a business purchase. The room in which it is used is presumably not going to be 100% for business (because of the cap gains on selling your house issue) and the fact that it is still going to be there when you aren't working from home, and presumably you'll still use it, makes it a harder sell if HMRC comes asking. For the amount of tax you save, I probably wouldn't take the risk, personally.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X