• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to get an Electric Car"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    The Leaf has been left behind especially regards battery management and charging, there are far better alternatives in the same price range.

The Kia E Niro, E Soul, and Hyundai E Kona as well as the slightly smaller Renault Zoe leave the Leaf trailing.
    I suspect the Kia and Hyundai still have some battery management issues - mind you I don't think the Leaf has any battery management so anything would be an improvement on that..

It is one area where I suspect Tesla is ahead of everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by abcdef4 View Post
    existing nissan leaf is owned by my wife and nothing to do with the business - best car we've ever owned
    The Leaf has been left behind especially regards battery management and charging, there are far better alternatives in the same price range.

The Kia E Niro, E Soul, and Hyundai E Kona as well as the slightly smaller Renault Zoe leave the Leaf trailing.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    this will be our 2nd EV - already have a 2nd hand leaf - once you get one there is no going back!
    At least, not without charging the battery

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Erm, you’re a sole director and employee but your LtdCo is soon to have two cars?
    existing nissan leaf is owned by my wife and nothing to do with the business - best car we've ever owned

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    in one statement you confirm you don’t know enough to do this yourself without screwing up.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the link - I have no intention of doing this without an accountant - but mine does not seem to know!

"This 0% rate also applies to company car drivers in pure electric vehicles registered prior to April 6, 2020. Additionally, the 0% rate will also apply to company cars registered after April 6, 2020, "

is useful

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Hi - we are EV converts - we have a 2nd hand nissan leaf as the family 2nd car and we are never going back. I am 100% out of ir35 and drive approx 600 miles a month that are genuine business miles. I drive a diesel suv and want to get rid of it. Buying a new EV [ likely to be a kia e-niro ] is going to be a very good decision.

The options are:
    1. take out a personal loan and buy the car myself - and I can claim 600 x 45p a mile a month [ and considering an EV costs about 1p a mile to run this is a good thing]

2. take out a company loan or lease and use the car as a company car - no Bik in year 1 and 1%/2%in y2 and y3 - so this is beneficial. mileage is only claimed at 4p a mile though

3. use salary sacrifice - which I cannot work out how this will work - I have some calls next week with leasing companies to discuss. Is the car 'mine' - i.e can I claim 45p a mile for mileage [or is it the companies so 4p/mile] - makes a difference to the numbers.

cheers
    Erm, you’re a sole director and employee but your LtdCo is soon to have two cars?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I think it is only for new EV cars registered after April 2020??
    to show why you need an accountant you are wrong see Company Car Tax: Does it now pay to go electric with your fleet? | Rouse Partners | Award-winning Chartered Accountants in Buckinghamshire

in one statement you confirm you don’t know enough to do this yourself without screwing up.

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    Originally posted by sybadm View Post
    Do you know if one can buy Second hand/Used Electric Car on Company and still avail same BiK benefits?
    I think it is only for new EV cars registered after April 2020??

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Type electric site:contractoruk.com/forums in to Google and have a read of all the other threads on electric cars.
    majority of posts are way out of date - new EV tax changes April 2020 change everything

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    For now. If you can stay in an outside gig end end for the next two or three years I'd be willing to bet youll be in the tiny minority.

The advice has always been company cars aren't the best idea unless maybe EV. So yes you've picked an EV but now the landscape has changed considerably being able to find work becomes the biggest issue. We've had at least two posts in the last few weeks about people stuck with cars wanting to shut their business and from what I remember the way out of the leases means all the benefit of having it though the company disappeared.

Just food for thought even if the figures look worth it.
    thanks for advice - the service I provide is 100% out of IR35 [and I'm having to turn work away!

The changes from April 2020 re fully EV cars are pressing reset on all the old advice re company cars tbh. BiK changes plus the ability to put 100% or cost of car against company revenue makes it a no brainer as far as I can see.

I am really stuck on how salary sacrifice works though!

cheers

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Lots of hybrid cars getting their catalytic converters stolen. Might be worth a Google to be sure to avoid those models.
    no - fully electric - no hybrid nonsense

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I am 100% out of ir35
    For now. If you can stay in an outside gig end end for the next two or three years I'd be willing to bet youll be in the tiny minority.

The advice has always been company cars aren't the best idea unless maybe EV. So yes you've picked an EV but now the landscape has changed considerably being able to find work becomes the biggest issue. We've had at least two posts in the last few weeks about people stuck with cars wanting to shut their business and from what I remember the way out of the leases means all the benefit of having it though the company disappeared.

Just food for thought even if the figures look worth it.

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Thoughts? Don't buy one yet.

If you can't afford it with your own savings, don't buy it. We are on the cusp of a change in the contractor world and also major change in the world of transport. There are simply not many electric options available right now.

If you absolutely must get one - which I applaud - then buy a second hand option. If you don't need range then a Nissan Leaf or similar. It's really quite a spacious car. If you have money and want the range ten a Tesla model S is the one. BMW i3 facelift of a few years ago has mixed reviews.

A car is the easiest thing to spend money on and is guaranteed to depreciate, so consider the IR35 effects and price before committing. Personally I wouldn't buy a new fossil fuel car and never have, so I don't see the advantage of buying a new electric car.

Do not buy a hybrid. They are a con to allow companies, such as Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG: VW, Audi, Porsche, Seat) to meet emissions targets and yet the very short distance capable on battery encourages you not to charge them due to the effort involved for 10 to 15Km of driving on electric.
    Hi - we are EV converts - we have a 2nd hand nissan leaf as the family 2nd car and we are never going back. I am 100% out of ir35 and drive approx 600 miles a month that are genuine business miles. I drive a diesel suv and want to get rid of it. Buying a new EV [ likely to be a kia e-niro ] is going to be a very good decision.

The options are:
    1. take out a personal loan and buy the car myself - and I can claim 600 x 45p a mile a month [ and considering an EV costs about 1p a mile to run this is a good thing]

2. take out a company loan or lease and use the car as a company car - no Bik in year 1 and 1%/2%in y2 and y3 - so this is beneficial. mileage is only claimed at 4p a mile though

3. use salary sacrifice - which I cannot work out how this will work - I have some calls next week with leasing companies to discuss. Is the car 'mine' - i.e can I claim 45p a mile for mileage [or is it the companies so 4p/mile] - makes a difference to the numbers.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• abcdef4
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    If you don't have an accountant, do not do this.

It is feasible to DIY stuff if you keep things simple, don't do out of the ordinary. Where it's almost guaranteed to go wrong is when people do more complex stuff, relying on snippets they read on the internet.
    I have an accountant but they are struggling to answer these questions

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Is cat theft still a thing or do hybrids have a different type of cat converter that you don't have on normal cars that makes them desirable?
    Not sure, but I see on my neighborhood forum that people are getting theirs stolen all the time, sometimes multiple times from the same car. If I had to guess, I'd say that certain models of Prius must be really ripe for the picking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X