• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountants with good deals for Dormant Ltd companies?"

Collapse

• Sam B Dynamo Accounts
    replied
    Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
    I don't normally agree with Alan, but on this occasion I do.

I see no benefit (from an accountants point of view) to offer a discount on fees paid early unless cash flow is an issue.

Seems strange to reduce profit and I can't honestly believe such a small discount to client is such an incentive!
    I have come across this before from a clients point of view having received a request for an annual up front bill (without asking for a discount) - he wanted to be sure all his commitments for the coming year were addressed so he knew where he stood.

It wasn't about wanting cheaper services or our attempt to win work by reducing profits or a 'cash grab'.

So maybe the slight reduction isn't the incentive here but just a bonus for some - maybe there are lots of people like my client that need to be so organised and in front.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post

I see no benefit (from an accountants point of view) to offer a discount on fees paid early unless cash flow is an issue.
    It might be the difference between someone choosing/staying with you or moving to someone else

Leave a comment:

• craigy1874
    replied

Seems strange to reduce profit and I can't honestly believe such a small discount to client is such an incentive!

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Hmmm...given what happened to Nimble Jack (NJ) a year or so ago, I'd be nervous re paying a year in advance as a client unless I was very confident in the future of the firm.

NJ clients typically found they'd made multiple monthly payments, then accounting firm went AWOL. Client then realistically has to find a new accountant, get them to pick up the pieces (possibly charging a premium for it), with no likelihood of a refund from NJ. It would have been even worse had the client paid NJ a whole year's fees in advance.

It does beg the question why would an accountancy firm offer this? As Alan suggests, it's a temporary cash flow boost at the expense of profit over the longer term. If as a firm you're confident in your future, it's daft. To my mind it only makes good business sense to offer if you're struggling and need bailing out, or perhaps you think the client would leave without the offer.

...but yeah, re the OP, there seems to be a lot of confusion in contracting circles over what "dormant" means. Having a brief gap between contracts does not make your company dormant.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Not true.

I am joining said accountancy firm, and year end accounts to be done after three monthly payments....

Good to know they offer 10% off if paid up front - once I'm up and running again will certainly take advantage of said offer.
    Ok yes as a "please join us" welcome bonus, don't expect them to do next years with only three monthly payments - I am referring to the medium/long term

Leave a comment:

• fiisch
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Gorilla

You may be right - time will tell I guess but when [almost?] every accountant will demand 12 monthly payments before they'll do your end of year accounts etc IMO it's silly not to take 10% off if it's offered!
    Not true.

I am joining said accountancy firm, and year end accounts to be done after three monthly payments....

Good to know they offer 10% off if paid up front - once I'm up and running again will certainly take advantage of said offer.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 December 2020, 16:04.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    Can I ask who it was?
    Gorilla.

I’m sure they dressed it up as a great benefit to the client but it does sound like a cash grab to me. Sacrificing profit for cash in the bank seems strange, and maybe a bit worrying, especially when the monthly model creates positive cash flow anyway.
    You may be right - time will tell I guess but when [almost?] every accountant will demand 12 monthly payments before they'll do your end of year accounts etc IMO it's silly not to take 10% off if it's offered!
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 December 2020, 16:03.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    and thanks to one of your competitors for advertising it openly and emailing all their clients explicitly offering it
    Can I ask who it was? I’m sure they dressed it up as a great benefit to the client but it does sound like a cash grab to me. Sacrificing profit for cash in the bank seems strange, and maybe a bit worrying, especially when the monthly model creates positive cash flow anyway.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    On the back of this, I did a quick straw poll on LinkedIn and, while definitely not enough respondents to make it comprehensive, 2 out of every 3 said they’d pay up front for 10% off. So it may be something we’ll look at. Thanks for planting the seed.
    and thanks to one of your competitors for advertising it openly and emailing all their clients explicitly offering it

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    surely would be better to advertise then?
    I'd pay a full year up front for 10% discount.
    On the back of this, I did a quick straw poll on LinkedIn and, while definitely not enough respondents to make it comprehensive, 2 out of every 3 said they’d pay up front for 10% off. So it may be something we’ll look at. Thanks for planting the seed.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by gts View Post
    Because I don't have a contract currently but hope to get one sorted soon.
    OK, your company is not "dormant" and it is not "not trading". You are between contracts.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    Understand and agree, but unless I'm going cross eyes shouldn't there be a don't in there, "to understand that accountants don't only work when you do"?
    Indeed. Fixed. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by gts View Post
    Sorry I didn't specify. It's currently not trading. It's not officially dormant (I think there's some bureaucracy involved in doing that).
    Its not so much bureaucracy, as time. The definition of trading is "no significant transactions" - that means in the current financial year you can't be dormant as you've been trading, and neither can the company be dormant in the following year as you'll have a tax bill to settle. It takes to the end of the accounting period after next.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    There does seem to be a general failure among some contractors to understand that accountants only work when you do. Most of the work we do is on an annual cycle and therefore whether you are benched or not is largely irrelevant. We've had contractors stop their DD to us because they're between contracts. It doesn't work like that. The monthly fee is essentially an annual fee payable in twelve instalments. Although that could possibly be communicated better.
    Understand and agree, but unless I'm going cross eyes shouldn't there be a don't in there, "to understand that accountants don't only work when you do"?

Leave a comment:

• gts
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Are you "Not trading" because you don't have a contract currently but may do in the future, or are you not trading because you do not intend to go back to contracting?
    Because I don't have a contract currently but hope to get one sorted soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X