• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working both perm and contracting - best payment method"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Who wants to have to check their accountant's sums?
    Are you new to this contracting lark?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    He got the essential point:

Everything else is insignificant.

I particularly liked this part, though:

Of course, £8404*19% is not £1601, it is £1596.76. And £8404*20% is £1681 not £1685. Etc. Well, of course, he calculated using the right number, £8424, rather than £8404.

So the analysis looks spot on, but Pete found a way to look like he was messing it up in the process while still getting it right. Well done! That's a special skill. Sometimes I wonder if that's the way Donald Trump is running the most powerful country in the world. Get a lot of things right but make the whole thing look like a mess. Maybe Pete is Trump's accountant?
    More likely to be suity's. Who wants to have to check their accountant's sums?

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    He got the essential point:
    Originally posted by Hewitt Accountancy Ltd View Post
    WordisBond is pretty darn close TBH.
    Everything else is insignificant.

I particularly liked this part, though:
    Assuming you keep your overall earnings below the higher rate threshold, then taking a salary of £8,404 saves £8,404*19% = £1,601 of Corp Tax, and reduces the amount you have available to take in dividends from the Company by £8,404-£1,601 = £6,823.
    The increased income tax on the salary is £8,404*20% = £1,685, and the reduced income tax on the lower dividends is £6,823*7.5% = £512.
    so overall the net saving per annum is +£1,601 - £1,685 + £512 = £428.
    Of course, £8404*19% is not £1601, it is £1596.76. And £8404*20% is £1681 not £1685. Etc. Well, of course, he calculated using the right number, £8424, rather than £8404.

So the analysis looks spot on, but Pete found a way to look like he was messing it up in the process while still getting it right. Well done! That's a special skill. Sometimes I wonder if that's the way Donald Trump is running the most powerful country in the world. Get a lot of things right but make the whole thing look like a mess. Maybe Pete is Trump's accountant?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I wouldn't trust an accountant who thinks that £8,404-£1,601 = £6,823.
    I don't trust an accountant who can't tell me what is in pounds shilling and pence.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If he can count that far.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Oops, mye fisrt psot and I cantt even tipe prorperly!

Doh. Red face all round!!

Indeed, it should have been the usual limited company contactor salary for 18/19 of £8,424...

Lesson learnt - don't manually retype workings from excel! Humble pie fully eaten and sincere apologies given to all.
    Too little, too late.

Leave a comment:

• Hewitt Accountancy Ltd
    replied
    Oops, mye fisrt psot and I cantt even tipe prorperly!

Doh. Red face all round!!

Indeed, it should have been the usual limited company contactor salary for 18/19 of £8,424...

Lesson learnt - don't manually retype workings from excel! Humble pie fully eaten and sincere apologies given to all.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Love the numbers post. Always a complete **** up

You only get one chance to make a first impression, and accountants absolutely have to get the basics right. It's simply not negotiable.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Love the numbers post. Always a complete **** up

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Ooooh. Get the new guy. Closing threads off with his first post. Let's get this in General and see what he's really made of!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just to close this thread off in terms of the tax impact.
    Ooooh. Get the new guy. Closing threads off with his first post. Let's get this in General and see what he's really made of!!

Leave a comment:

• Hewitt Accountancy Ltd
    replied
    Just to close this thread off in terms of the tax impact. WordisBond is pretty darn close TBH.

Working with annualised figures:
    Assuming you keep your overall earnings below the higher rate threshold, then taking a salary of £8,404 saves £8,404*19% = £1,601 of Corp Tax, and reduces the amount you have available to take in dividends from the Company by £8,404-£1,601 = £6,823.
    The increased income tax on the salary is £8,404*20% = £1,685, and the reduced income tax on the lower dividends is £6,823*7.5% = £512.
    so overall the net saving per annum is +£1,601 - £1,685 + £512 = £428.

It gets more complicated when the higher rate income tax threshold is breached. Then taking a salary of £8,404 saves £8,404*19% = £1,601 of Corp Tax, and reduces the amount you have available to take in dividends by £8,404-£1,601 = £6,823.
    The increased income tax on the salary is £8,404*20% = £1,685. So far, all as above.
    The dividend tax saving is more complex - you save basic rate div tax of £8,404*7.5% = £631, but now lose out on £1,601 taxed at the higher rate of 32.% = £520.
    So overall the net saving per annum is +£1,601 - £1,685 + £631 - £520 = £27.
    Using your figures and taking 2 salaries, the max div you can take and still save £428 is £11,926; after divs of £13,600 the saving has dropped to £27.

So yes, IMHO it is worth doing!

Hope that helps!
    Cheers
    Peter
    Hewitt Accountancy Ltd

Leave a comment:

• RyanDS
    replied
    Many thanks for all the advice guys. Lots to look into.

Ideally I want to be leaving as much money in the company as possible to build up a warchest, the move here for me is to get out of office politics and improved quality of life as opposed to doing it for the money.

I just wanted to get my head around the worst case so I can plan accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I think he might have figured that out already.

You should pay yourself NMW, and avoid any NI costs. Take whatever else you need as dividends - leave what you don't need in the company.

btw - I'm 50% employed and 50% contractor as well.
    What is the advantage of paying NMW through the Ltd (or alternatively what is the obligation to do so)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X