• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expenses - laptop purchase leave abroad"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Snarf View Post
    Apple ALWAYS put the " in a funny place, they always have - other than the £ symbol do apple even change the layout for the UK?
    Funny, but logical - the " is on the same key as the '
    2 is for @ and € (use option to get €)
    3 is £ and # (use option to get #)

Everything else is the same, I think

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
    A US Macbook won't have a £ symbol on the keyboard, and the " will be in a funny place.

Just get a UK one.
    Apple ALWAYS put the " in a funny place, they always have - other than the £ symbol do apple even change the layout for the UK?

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    A US Macbook won't have a £ symbol on the keyboard, and the " will be in a funny place.

Just get a UK one.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Depends on the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure Apple, for instance, will service any laptop bought worldwide.
    Yes they do. They'll service it, but if it needs replacing, it would be replaced with a UK spec one, not a US spec one.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    A bigger issue is if the laptop fails in the UK then you will have issues with the warranty.
    Depends on the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure Apple, for instance, will service any laptop bought worldwide.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You cynic...

Experience, rather than cynicism.

When someone replies with "that's my concern" normally means they are withholding something.

The only country that they travel to is the US, they never travel in the UK or elsewhere.
    They are happy to leave said laptop somewhere secure in the US for the majority of the time, unused, considering this to be a good way to spend money.
    They have thought this through enough to give a very detailed first post, but obviously not spoken to their accountant about it.
    Their company is able to fund frequent trips to the US, but balks at spending a few pounds more buying the computer in the UK, which would allow them to take it with them anywhere in the world, allow them to work while on a plane or sitting at an airport as well as on their travels.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    If the OP doesn't bring it back, then they will need to check their company insurance for leaving a product abroad.

I think there's some things that the OP doesn't want to tell us, and is possibly hoping that we'll disagree with their accountant.
    You cynic...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyF View Post
    Only if they are VAT registered and not on the flat rate scheme
    Depends on the cost of the laptop....

Leave a comment:

• TonyF
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But if you have an LTD in the UK, you claim the VAT back anyway, whereas I doubt it would be straightforward to claim back the US sales tax through your UK LTD.
    Only if they are VAT registered and not on the flat rate scheme

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If the OP doesn't bring it back, then they will need to check their company insurance for leaving a product abroad.

I think there's some things that the OP doesn't want to tell us, and is possibly hoping that we'll disagree with their accountant.

Originally posted by Merklynn View Post
    The only reason I don't really want to bring it home (aside from the fact I don't need it here) really is it negates all savings if I have to pay duty and VAT on it anyway, might as well just buy it here
    But if you have an LTD in the UK, you claim the VAT back anyway, whereas I doubt it would be straightforward to claim back the US sales tax through your UK LTD.

Leave a comment:

• TonyF
    replied
    Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
    Of course (if) your laptop "happened" to break while you were in the US and you needed a replacement urgently.....
    Or you left it at home accidentally before departing.

I'd buy it and claim it. I'd also bring it back.

Leave a comment:

• TraceRacing
    replied
    Of course (if) your laptop "happened" to break while you were in the US and you needed a replacement urgently.....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MB2 View Post
    There isn't any duty on a laptop so all you should pay is the VAT upon import to the UK, which you claim back so I don't really see the point in smuggling it anyway.

If you import it yourself you are allowed 390 UKP value without paying the VAT upon entry from outside the EU but I guess the laptop be more expensive than that.
    A bigger issue is if the laptop fails in the UK then you will have issues with the warranty.

Leave a comment:

• MB2
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    try bringing back a suitcase full of new, boxed ones and going through the 'Something to declare' channel at customs. I think you'll find you need to pay duty (and VAT).
    There isn't any duty on a laptop so all you should pay is the VAT upon import to the UK, which you claim back so I don't really see the point in smuggling it anyway.

If you import it yourself you are allowed 390 UKP value without paying the VAT upon entry from outside the EU but I guess the laptop be more expensive than that.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    that was me, a loooong time ago... in a company far, far away
    That was NOT the contractor i was looking for, then?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X