• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Withdraw from a contract"

Collapse

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Serve notice as per the contract and immediately phone in sick for the entire duration of the notice period.

Agent & client will be seriously pissed off, but you'll be "free" of the contract without, technically, being in breach and you'll never have to set foot on the client's site.
    very permie mindset showing through, there

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Serve notice as per the contract and immediately phone in sick for the entire duration of the notice period.

Agent & client will be seriously pissed off, but you'll be "free" of the contract without, technically, being in breach and you'll never have to set foot on the client's site.
    What part of a contract allows you to b sick but not breach the contract?
    This is stupid ******* idea.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by nicholas22 View Post
    I'm in the same position as the original poster, but my notice is 3 months. I haven't started however and still have 2 weeks until official start date. But have signed and sent over my signature, start date, etc. I guess it's too late to pull out now, even though I've found something a bit better?

Leave a comment:

• nicholas22
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It can't be. NLUK says it isn't

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    Very strange that your contract is holding you to 3 months' notice. Is that a perm position?

Leave a comment:

• nicholas22
    replied
    Very strange that your contract is holding you to 3 months' notice. Is that a perm position?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Nah, just poorly negotiated.

Leave a comment:

• amanwhoisquiet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nicholas22
    replied
    I'm in the same position as the original poster, but my notice is 3 months. I haven't started however and still have 2 weeks until official start date. But have signed and sent over my signature, start date, etc. I guess it's too late to pull out now, even though I've found something a bit better?

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So you've not had your contract checked to make sure it's outside IR35 either??
    Oh I'm sure the OP will confirm the clause is in there, but as so often happens, the client has no operational intention to abide by it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sunny69 View Post
    I don't think I have an option of sending a substitute unless he is as qualified as me which is very unlikely to find in this very short time.

Alternate is I have to go through the notice myself albeit reluctantly
    So you've not had your contract checked to make sure it's outside IR35 either??

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I just noticed they have advertised my position again in the market ...would that change my situation any? i.e would they still want (insist) me to come?
    What do you expect them to do? Nothing and end up with no one?"Gotta use some common.

Leave a comment:

• pictavia
    replied
    I just noticed they have advertised my position again in the market ...would that change my situation any? i.e would they still want (insist) me to come?
    I wouldn't assume the matter is settled. This may be mitigation i.e. the agency taking steps to minimise loses as a result of the breach. If the agency has an exclusive on this contract, you may be ok if they find a suitable candidate. If another agency secures the business, your agency won't be happy.

Have you formally accepted the second contract? If not, I would offer to work the notice period on this one if applicable (do check the contract specifies a notice period - some don't). As the contract is for 5 months, it may be best for the client and agency to find someone else for the entire duration.

I hope it works out for you.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It just means that if you breach the contract they now have some losses to show for your breach which they can ask you to pay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X