• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Legal firm recommendation - loan agreement"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by tkmk View Post
    Hi guys

I have my established limited company as a contractor and I've created a new totally separate limited company for a side hustle

I would like to loan my new company some money from my existing company, for which I'll need a loan agreement. Can anybody recommend a company or website where I can get advice and an agreement drawn up? I have searched on Google but difficult to assess the options, so looking for a decent referral.

Thanks!

just a thought. Why loan it? Why not just make it a capital investment? It amounts to much the same thing but without any complex paperwork.
    Oh and the company owns the company.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    It may be worth checking that the articles allow this sort of activity. I imagine they do.

The practical consequences of breaching the articles are probably nil.

Leave a comment:

• tkmk
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    I'm sure it's fine. To be honest given as NLUK said it's basically from "you" to "you" if it was me I wouldn't bother with anything formal at all. Surely you're not going to get one company you own to sue the other for breach of loan agreement?!

^^this is not professional advice
    Ok thanks, and I won't take it as professional advice. But yours and everybody's comments have honestly been really helpful! I don't now think this needs to be as complicated as I originally thought in my head, which is great.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Question: What are your thoughts on the template TheFaqqer posted above?
    I'm sure it's fine. To be honest given as NLUK said it's basically from "you" to "you" if it was me I wouldn't bother with anything formal at all. Surely you're not going to get one company you own to sue the other for breach of loan agreement?!

^^this is not professional advice

Leave a comment:

• tkmk
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    Hmmm...it can be a slightly tricky one for accountants to advise on. We're not lawyers, so not savvy enough to give proper advice on this kind of thing. Also if we say "you'll be fine, just wing it with some DIY agreement" and it all ends up going horribly wrong, you might try to hold us liable. Therefore the "safe" option is just to recommend getting formal legal advice, even if 99% of the time that might be complete overkill.

My personal thoughts:
    - if you can, do it all personally, rather than direct company to company. I appreciate some people won't want this as can be tax consequences of them either taking more dividends or long term borrowing from the first company.
    - if you do do it company to company, ensure you keep the number of transactions as low as possible. Ie do not just get company A to regularly pay company B's bills, as unless your admin skills are brilliant, you'll get in a right mess. Instead get company A to loan (say) £5,000 to company B as one lump sum. Ensure B pays all its own bills (albeit thanks to money lent by A. If B needs to borrow more money, do it in another round lump sum. If/when B starts doing well, repay it in one lump sum. Up to you whether you pay interest...to my mind probably more trouble than it's worth.
    Thanks. A very helpful response. And I can understand why accountants would be cautious.

I appreciate some people won't want this as can be tax consequences of them either taking more dividends
    Yes. This is exactly why I want to avoid this option in this current year.

Instead get company A to loan (say) £5,000 to company B as one lump sum
    That is the plan. Too lazy to do too much admin

Up to you whether you pay interest...to my mind probably more trouble than it's worth
    Ideally I would like to avoid this, but I have read that if the authorities are sniffing around, having interest added makes appear to be more legit (don't know how true this though)

Question: What are your thoughts on the template TheFaqqer posted above?

Leave a comment:

• tkmk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The one generated here looks reasonable.
    Brilliant. That does look good. I'll pass on to my accountant to give it a once over. I look the fact that it is explicit about no interest being charged on the principal.

Leave a comment:

• tkmk
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    I was thinking about doing this and was advised that you can only loan clear profits. Is that what you had in mind ?
    No I did not know this. I will check with the accountant. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Ok thanks for the quick response. I did initially try my accountants and they suggested getting a proper legal agreement written. Perhaps I'll go back to them and double check.
    Hmmm...it can be a slightly tricky one for accountants to advise on. We're not lawyers, so not savvy enough to give proper advice on this kind of thing. Also if we say "you'll be fine, just wing it with some DIY agreement" and it all ends up going horribly wrong, you might try to hold us liable. Therefore the "safe" option is just to recommend getting formal legal advice, even if 99% of the time that might be complete overkill.

My personal thoughts:
    - if you can, do it all personally, rather than direct company to company. I appreciate some people won't want this as can be tax consequences of them either taking more dividends or long term borrowing from the first company.
    - if you do do it company to company, ensure you keep the number of transactions as low as possible. Ie do not just get company A to regularly pay company B's bills, as unless your admin skills are brilliant, you'll get in a right mess. Instead get company A to loan (say) £5,000 to company B as one lump sum. Ensure B pays all its own bills (albeit thanks to money lent by A. If B needs to borrow more money, do it in another round lump sum. If/when B starts doing well, repay it in one lump sum. Up to you whether you pay interest...to my mind probably more trouble than it's worth.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    I was thinking about doing this and was advised that you can only loan clear profits. Is that what you had in mind ?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    The one generated here looks reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• tkmk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    My accountant would my first step. They should know how these work and what you need. As it's between you and you the legals don't have to be as water tight as it would between two parties who are protecting their interests.
    Ok thanks for the quick response. I did initially try my accountants and they suggested getting a proper legal agreement written. Perhaps I'll go back to them and double check.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    My accountant would my first step. They should know how these work and what you need. As it's between you and you the legals don't have to be as water tight as it would between two parties who are protecting their interests.

Leave a comment:

• tkmk
    started a topic Legal firm recommendation - loan agreement

Legal firm recommendation - loan agreement

Hi guys

I have my established limited company as a contractor and I've created a new totally separate limited company for a side hustle

I would like to loan my new company some money from my existing company, for which I'll need a loan agreement. Can anybody recommend a company or website where I can get advice and an agreement drawn up? I have searched on Google but difficult to assess the options, so looking for a decent referral.

Thanks!

Working...
X