• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can my company pay for Eurostar expenses?"

Collapse

• Chart Accountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by Skag View Post
    Permanent residence: London
    Work place: Brussels (Mon-Fri) sometimes maybe wfh, but that's TBD
    Max contract time: 6-7 months
    Then back to London.
    Past 13 years before this contract, lived in UK.
    Based on your information, you will remain tax resident in the UK under the automatic test if you spend more than 183 days in UK and you keep access your main home but if you establish a permanent home/place of business in Belgium and/or spend longer there, you and your company may become tax residents in Belgium. The rules for travel to a temporary work place should still apply for you when travelling outside of the UK. If your permanent place of residence is still the UK and you keep your home here, your journeys to Belgium will be for the purpose of your trade, and should not be seen as a personal expense. Out of interest, when you are in Belgium do you also incur costs for accommodation?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy O View Post
    When I was a permanent employee my train fares and flights were paid for directly by my employer, but they also allowed me to book some fares myself and them claim them back. So either method is ok for our limited companies too I presume.
    It doesn’t matter which way you do it, in the case of travel how it is paid for makes absolutely no difference to how the expense is taxed.

If it’s valid business travel, it’s not taxable or reportable, if it’s not valid business travel it’s a taxable BIK. In either case it’s tax deductible for corporation tax purposes.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    You presume wrong...
    Eh? Why?

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    Your company can pay for whatever it likes. Whether it's tax deductible for the company or a tax benefit for the end user is another question ...

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    But what if the agent tells him he can do this?
    Then that's grand.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    I'm waiting for the bit where the OP says he's not paying Belgian tax....
    But what if the agent tells him he can do this?

Is his agent above tax officials?

Leave a comment:

• Andy O
    replied
    You presume wrong...
    Would you care to elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy O View Post
    When I was a permanent employee my train fares and flights were paid for directly by my employer, but they also allowed me to book some fares myself and them claim them back. So either method is ok for our limited companies too I presume.
    You presume wrong...

Leave a comment:

• Andy O
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I'm referring to the train expense paid by my Ltd or me though, not tax.
    They are linked.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    #talktosueatipaye
    I'm waiting for the bit where the OP says he's not paying Belgian tax....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    He suggests to pay the from my own pocket to "avoid any additional tax liabilities".
    #talktosueatipaye

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What does your accountant suggest?
    He suggests to pay the from my own pocket to "avoid any additional tax liabilities".

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    What does your accountant suggest?

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    If you are working in Belgium, you pay tax in Belgium, there is no option to pay tax where ever suits.

Sounds like you are tax resident in both countries, suggest you read the sticky on this and prepare yourself for a shock
    I'm referring to the train expense paid by my Ltd or me though, not tax.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X