• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT contractor - but going PAYE under a family members company?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Some interesting threads on agents insisting on sole directorship that might give the OP some insight in to potential problems.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...rship-ltd.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-director.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-director.html

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    I think you might need to get a job...

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    In order to find out the prospective terms you will needto find tbe contract first. You could ask any agencies you plan on using for model contracts.

As you should realise needing to be a director is common. A shareholder less common. It is up to both parties to decide the basis on which they wlll do business.

Are you certain that your bankruptcy in ireland will legitimately allow you to hide your income or some portion of it in a uk company until discharge. Seems remarkably odd to me.

Here tbat would get you multiple significant charges (if caught). And they would also be visited upon your sister.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by qwertyuiop725 View Post
    I should have stated I would be going bankrupt in Ireland as i'm Irish - so I don't think employers in the uk have visibility of the bankruptcy register there anyway (I worked in uk for many years and hope to do so in the future)

Anyway - we are getting slightly off topic (although it does provide context for my original query)

So essentially there are mixed views as to whether an agency would be prepared to sign a contract with a family member as director/owner and me PAYE yes?
    I really need some way to find this out before I go bankrupt.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could find this out even?
    It seems like you're asking for some sort of affirmation from the forum ? It seems to me that you're attempting to create a future that is built on lies and expecting people here to help you get there ?

Why don't you explain everything to the agency they you're looking to work with and see what they say ?

Leave a comment:

• qwertyuiop725
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    I think agents/clients in all sectors would probably err on the side of caution if someone openly declared they were expecting to go bankrupt in the immediate future

I should have stated I would be going bankrupt in Ireland as i'm Irish - so I don't think employers in the uk have visibility of the bankruptcy register there anyway (I worked in uk for many years and hope to do so in the future)

Anyway - we are getting slightly off topic (although it does provide context for my original query)

So essentially there are mixed views as to whether an agency would be prepared to sign a contract with a family member as director/owner and me PAYE yes?
    I really need some way to find this out before I go bankrupt.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could find this out even?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I think agents/clients in all sectors would probably err on the side of caution if someone openly declared they were expecting to go bankrupt in the immediate future
    If they don't background check they won't know.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Or you could avoid the issue completely by working in sectors where they don't background check at all.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    so like OP says, it would appear it's better to stay quiet and let them find out (or not) than to not have a contract at all

half a contract is more £££ than no contract!
    Or you could avoid the issue completely by working in sectors where they don't background check at all.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    In the case of the defence company I was about half-way in the contract before they started looking into me. Another contractor who started before was let go suddenly mid-contract as he hadn't bothered handing reference information in.
    so like OP says, it would appear it's better to stay quiet and let them find out (or not) than to not have a contract at all

half a contract is more £££ than no contract!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I wouldn't bother telling them. Realistically they would never find out - and even if they do find out after the event they probably wouldn't care at that stage.
    Unfortunately you will find that some companies will do the background checks themselves and may not do them immediately you get on-site.

In the last two years I've had roles with defence and finance companies who both did the background checks themselves.

The finance company did the check before I got on-site while the defence company took their time. In the case of the defence company I was about half-way in the contract before they started looking into me. Another contractor who started before was let go suddenly mid-contract as he hadn't bothered handing reference information in.

Leave a comment:

• qwertyuiop725
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    They will.

And some clients get picky about when you lie to them, strangely enough.
    Id take my chances - would be a lot less to lose if caught (which would be highly unlikely unless they decide to do a random check mid contract for some reason) rather than being upfront about the bankruptcy.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I wouldn't bother telling them. Realistically they would never find out - and even if they do find out after the event they probably wouldn't care at that stage.
    They will.

And some clients get picky about when you lie to them, strangely enough.

Leave a comment:

• qwertyuiop725
    replied
    Some contracts actually state if your situation changes e.g. you go bankrupt you have to tell them. I suggest you stay away from the finance, government and defence sectors.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I would plan on entering bankruptcy immediately after starting a new contract. Hopefully the contract would last 12 months (or a large portion of it) to get me to the other side of bankruptcy.
    Some contracts actually state if your situation changes e.g. you go bankrupt you have to tell them. I suggest you stay away from the finance, government and defence sectors.

Leave a comment:

• qwertyuiop725
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Then your bigger worry will be getting a contract.

Personally I would use an umbrella.
    I would plan on entering bankruptcy immediately after starting a new contract. Hopefully the contract would last 12 months (or a large portion of it) to get me to the other side of bankruptcy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X