• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountants Submitted Accounts without my Sign off"

Collapse

• Invisiblehand
    replied
    Originally posted by bipo912 View Post
    Deadline for filing was mid January. I have raised the fact that I am unhappy with the firm in question. Will see how they handle all of this before deciding to name them.
    How did this play out?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Deadline for filing was mid January. I have raised the fact that I am unhappy with the firm in question. Will see how they handle all of this before deciding to name them.
    I'm not a big fan of naming companies in situations like this. Sometimes crap happens and it's one of those things but that's your call.

Do keep us updated with what happens. I'd be interested to know and some good information for people in the same situation that have been directed to do a search

Leave a comment:

• bipo912
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    let them fix it then sack 'em....

You say that the dividend amount doesn't match your SA amount. Why would it? Unless your company year end is March it's quite likely they won't match.
    Y/e is likely to be March if the deadline for filing was 31/12.

Leave a comment:

• Louisa@AardvarkAccounting
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    You say that the dividend amount doesn't match your SA amount. Why would it? Unless your company year end is March it's quite likely they won't match.
    Agree, the accounts won't match the SATR, unless it coincides with the tax year.

However I'd expect the total dividends in the accounts if I were to look between the accounting periods 06/04 to 05/04 to match SATR dividends from this source.

It's a check I'd do when preparing the current year and reviewing the prior year, to make sure nothing has gone astray

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    let them fix it then sack 'em....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    Probably misjudged but done with the best of intentions, I'd say.

The question I'd have is how you got to 9 months (minus 3 days) after your year end before you started agitating about this.
    There are accountants out there who leave accounts to the last minute. That way they make it difficult for clients to leave.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Probably misjudged but done with the best of intentions, I'd say.

The question I'd have is how you got to 9 months (minus 3 days) after your year end before you started agitating about this.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Basically agree with the above. A couple of slight devil's advocate things though:

- as alluded to by Louisa, I know a few accountants who will sometimes "make a judgement call" around filing deadlines, and submit things without proper authority. It's a tricky one, and one where you can be damned if you do, damned if you don't.

- more for my own interest, I'm intrigued whether they deliberately submitted the accounts (perhaps on the questionable logic your silence meant you had no queries, hence approved) or whether it was a complete accident. In today's world of online filing from within the software where the figures are prepared, this can be quite easy to do.

Assuming they fix any errors and resubmit, then no/negligible long term harm done. If I were in your shoes I'd be keen to find out how/why it happened though, as I feel that's perhaps as relevant as the fact it happened in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Michael at BI Accountancy
    replied
    Submitted without any permission or signing off is a big no no!

Almost sound's like an "old school accountants" that have estimated you had x amount of the normal expenses, bar petrol? Are you sure it's for petrol as that would be an odd nominal to have in the accounts (normally Motor expenses which would be made up of mileage).

Not a great situation to be in, as NLUK say's look at getting your affairs onto FreeAgent.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This looks wrong to me. What is being an IT contractor got to do with it? We do have cars and we do use them for business.
    He doesn't have a car.

Though I agree whether you are an IT contractor or even a permanent IT employee you may need to use your car for business. I have as both.

Leave a comment:

• Invisiblehand
    replied
    You're quite right to be annoyed.

Which firm was it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Other have answered the question about authorizing the return but this bit stands out to me...

Anyway it turns out that the accounts have a number of significant mistakes in them. Expenses I have reported are missing, dividends paid out are incorrect and do not match the dividend amount on my personal tax return. They also list expenses that I never reported e.g. there is an expense for petrol - I am an IT contractor and have never used a car for my business - in fact I do not have a car. There are other expenses that also do not mean anything to me.
    None of this would have happened if you had FreeAgent tbh. There is a lot to be said for taking control of your own accounts. I'd be leaving on this point alone. I'd hate to see the process they use to allow this to happen.

I am an IT contractor and have never used a car for my business
    This looks wrong to me. What is being an IT contractor got to do with it? We do have cars and we do use them for business.

Leave a comment:

• Lambert Simnel
    replied
    Sounds completely outrageous to me.
    Personally, I would at the very least require a change of the accountant assigned to me if I were to continue with that firm. I certainly had a duffer assigned to me initially (5 years ago) but the accountancy firm were happy to assign a different (and more capable) accountant to me rather than lose my business.

Leave a comment:

• Louisa@AardvarkAccounting
    replied
    The accounts they had sent to me required an electronic signature, which I did not give as I didn't see or open the email until late January.
    Agree with TCP, your accounts should not have been filed without you authorising them first. They should have sent you a number of reminders and called you before the submission, to at least get you to email your permission to file them if you couldn't officially sign them before the deadline. Your accountant might have thought they were being helpful by avoiding you any late filing penalties... But even then, if the accounts are now full of mistakes...

Anyway it turns out that the accounts have a number of significant mistakes in them. Expenses I have reported are missing, dividends paid out are incorrect and do not match the dividend amount on my personal tax return. They also list expenses that I never reported e.g. there is an expense for petrol - I am an IT contractor and have never used a car for my business - in fact I do not have a car. There are other expenses that also do not mean anything to me.
    I would request from them a full breakdown of all the items behind the figures (a nominal) so you can see the detail and query anything that does not look right. Plus, get clarification on the dividends, to make sure this matches your self assessment tax returns for your personal income. Or this could trigger HMRC to ask later on down the line why the dividends don't match up.

Is it unreasonable for me to be unhappy with the firm about this situation, or is it completely my fault as I missed their email with the accounts included?
    No, technically it would be your fault for the late submission of the accounts and any penalties. However out of courtesy, they should have phoned and emailed to chase you beforehand.

I would definitely get clarity on how the accounts were prepared though and check through the amendment with a fine tooth comb, to make sure your 110% happy with them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X