• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New to contracting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New to contracting"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    But I am precisely because Darren made the effort to reply to my query then contact me.
    He's after your dollar that's why

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    But I am precisely because Darren made the effort to reply to my query then contact me.

And I have to say, I feel a lot more secure with Dynamo than I ever did with CK. And far better off financially as well. So much so that I have recommended his services to two close contracting friends.
    Fair play for taking the initiative Darren. Although best watch for the mods as unsolicited contact is frowned upon.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The fact that Darren from Dynamo has posted in this thread would suggest he would be happy to talk to you.

(FTAOD, I'm not a Dynamo customer, but Darren is often seen around these parts with useful advice)

And I have to say, I feel a lot more secure with Dynamo than I ever did with CK. And far better off financially as well. So much so that I have recommended his services to two close contracting friends.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Not the first 'Darren' to hang around CUK being helpful though
    Harsh.

Just check the bank account details when paying your tax and you'll be fine.

Side note: I had a guy called Robert maxwell code to try to sell me pensions advice a few years ago. Couldn't take him seriously.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Harsh.

Should we ask him about his favourite football club?

Leave a comment:

• Michael at BI Accountancy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The fact that Darren from Dynamo has posted in this thread would suggest he would be happy to talk to you.

(FTAOD, I'm not a Dynamo customer, but Darren is often seen around these parts with useful advice)

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by varghesejim View Post
    Looking for accounting services. Looked at the forum and seen some recommendations. However what do you think of KPMG small business accounting? Such a big name have perceived quality to go with it? Any experiences?
    As per other comments - KPMG sba total overkill for the service you require.

Leave a comment:

• Michael at BI Accountancy
    replied
    CUK Directory

Only accountant's that pay for the privilege are included on CUK directory. As other's have suggested, ring a couple of accountant's and get a feel for what they offer. Ask any questions you have and go from there.

All of us would be more than happy to have a chat.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Would love to know your criteria for choosing. Some of your list are regularly on here posting useful and informative advice for free. The rest don't. One is not highly thought of.

What you should be looking at is not pretty websites but informative ones: SJD for example have a shed load of guides and supporting material. Pricing is an irrelevance; any good accountant will save enough to justify their fees and it's a competitive market so a hundred quid or so either way doesn't matter a damn.

Listen to what you are being told by the other posts. And make up your own mind. You will have to do a lot of that in your new career....
    Well I've put some criteria in the post so I've seen recommendations from posters I trust for them plus I've spoken personally to some of them and it seemed OK. I've tried to be as fair as I can but that said I have really messed one of them up as you point out. Must admit I don't know why it's still there. I'll fix that in a moment.

I get plenty of mails from the new guys that pop on for a post or two and then try PM'ing me but they've not hit the list.

I don't want to get in to an argument about them, I'll just take it down if it get's messy. It was just supposed to be a guide from my experience on the forums and in RL.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    northernladuk

I see this is your recommendation

Gorilla Accounting
    Maslins
    BI Accountancy
    Dynamo Accounting
    InTouch Accounting
    Crunch Accounting

I had a look at the websites. And purely by the feel of it Dynamo and Crunch looks better than others. If I have to pick it is Dynamo because of its simple one price accounting package.

Any negative things about these companies?
    No way would I pick an accountant based on the website. Personally I'd have a chat to them and see how I feel. I've spoken to one of the ones on the CUK list when I was unhappy with SJD and I just didn't gel with the guy on the phone. His advice might have been sound but it just didn't do it for me so moved on.

I'd not get in to the negatives as I don't have first hand experience with most and I'd be messing with peoples business but I'd search the forums for one of the two you've mentioned Mal makes a good point in his thread and I must admint I dunno why I left it in.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    northernladuk

I see this is your recommendation

Gorilla Accounting
    Maslins
    BI Accountancy
    Dynamo Accounting
    InTouch Accounting
    Crunch Accounting

I had a look at the websites. And purely by the feel of it Dynamo and Crunch looks better than others. If I have to pick it is Dynamo because of its simple one price accounting package.

Any negative things about these companies?
    Would love to know your criteria for choosing. Some of your list are regularly on here posting useful and informative advice for free. The rest don't. One is not highly thought of.

What you should be looking at is not pretty websites but informative ones: SJD for example have a shed load of guides and supporting material. Pricing is an irrelevance; any good accountant will save enough to justify their fees and it's a competitive market so a hundred quid or so either way doesn't matter a damn.

Listen to what you are being told by the other posts. And make up your own mind. You will have to do a lot of that in your new career....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I am surprised that they are not in CUK directory. Anyway, so do you have good opinion about gorilla?
    I use InTouch (and am very happy with their service) - which is how I know that if you use a competitor, Gorilla will write to you and tell you that they are better and cheaper.

As a result I don't have a good opinion of Gorilla, no.

Leave a comment:

• varghesejim
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you use a competitor, then Gorilla will write to you to tell you how much better they are and to check CUK for lots of recommendations.
    I am surprised that they are not in CUK directory. Anyway, so do you have good opinion about gorilla?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X