• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How is loss in one financial year carried forward into next"

Collapse

• GillsMan
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Well done on being 22 hours late with a pedantic answer. Given that I was drawing attention to the fact that he hasn't even asked his own accountant yet, you, as usual, miss the point.
    No he had a point tbf. If this forum was just full of replies saying "ask your accountant" there would never be any actual advice. What would have been more helpful and interesting would have been a reply along the lines of "I think XYZ, but this is dependent on your situation, so ask your accountant for clarification". If you can't muster that, then maybe you don't need to post anything at all?

Honestly, if some people got their way, this forum would just be one big sign saying "ASK YOUR ACCOUNTANT", another big sign with a link to Google, and absolutely no interesting discussion.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Forum: Accounting / Legal
    Financial and legal issues affecting IT contractor companies, including IR35.
    Well done on being 22 hours late with a pedantic answer. Given that I was drawing attention to the fact that he hasn't even asked his own accountant yet, you, as usual, miss the point.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Why ask non-accountants then?
    Forum: Accounting / Legal
    Financial and legal issues affecting IT contractor companies, including IR35.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    BTW when you do the CT online it says "would you like to carry forward losses from a previous period", and you say yes and enter the number. Couldn't be simpler.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by kolata View Post
    1. £17k - £11k - £6k loss/debt = no profit
    All other things being equal, your example 1 is correct.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    I haven't asked my accountant yet. Asking here first. This is very simple example.

Say in this FY my LTD pays me salary of £11k, but there is no work and my turnover is £5k.
    At the year end I will be declaring a loss of £6k. Also the LTD will owe me salary money.
    No corp tax due.

Next FY I got a good turnover of say, £17k. Still £11k salary.
    How will the £6k loss be treated in respect to profit?

2. £17 - £11k = £6k profit @20% corp tax
    You can use the loss from a previous year to offset the profit of the next year. So you can carry it over. Alternatively, you can use a loss this year to reclaim the corporation tax paid on last year's profitable year.

Edit - also, if your company "owes" you salary, but did not pay it, then the best thing to do is to credit that salary against the director's loan account IMO. That way the salary still gets "paid", but you pay it into your loan account rather than handing over actual cash.
    Last edited by GillsMan; 22 September 2016, 09:56. Reason: thought of an extra point.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Not everyone on here is a non-accountant LM.
    Fair enough. Google might be quicker though

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Indeed but the advice will be worth every penny the OP paid for it.........

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I haven't asked my accountant yet. Asking here first. This is very simple example.

Say in this FY my LTD pays me salary of £11k, but there is no work and my turnover is £5k.
    At the year end I will be declaring a loss of £6k. Also the LTD will owe me salary money.
    No corp tax due.

Yes.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

No corp tax due.

Leave a comment:

• kolata
    started a topic How is loss in one financial year carried forward into next

How is loss in one financial year carried forward into next

No corp tax due.

Working...
X