• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "24 month rule and getting extension to run just short of it"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    And with that answer, I think that we're done now.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Well seems client did ask for mid Nov as discussed. Agency didn't notice and screwed it up. Just spoke agent. Offshore one. Never heard of 24 month rule. Cheers agency!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I'm sure you and nluk are the same person.
    Nope. Just fellow professionals

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Yes they have now. I agree. But if they'd offered 2 months instead....
    But..........they didn't. Simples

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I think we should all now work on the answer he actually wants to hear
    I'm sure you and nluk are the same person.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    At the end of the day.. They OFFERED you 3 month. The expectation is set. No amount of fudging the dates is going to change anything. The rule applies whatever. Claiming would evasion so it's up to you if it's worth the risk.
    Yes they have now. I agree. But if they'd offered 2 months instead....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I think we should all now work on the answer he actually wants to hear

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Suck it up PC - they've offered the 3 month extension so you now have the expectation that it will go over the 24 months. The only option you've got (and you need to be prepared to walk) is to ask for an extra £25 a day or whatever amount you think you can get away with. Justify it with your experience of clientco. That said, you're also now well into part and parcel so the IR35 flag probably needs a look as well.
    Yep agree with all this.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    You have been offered on this occasion and you know this takes you over 24 months.

Not only that you have stated as such on here
    Well yes I have now!!

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Only the paperwork matters. That's all HMRC can check during any future investigation. They aren't going to bother contacting the client or hold interrogations under lie detector tests, they'll just ask for the paperwork.

So when an extension goes over 24 months that the point you legitimately can't continue to claim expenses. Simple.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    At the end of the day.. They OFFERED you 3 month. The expectation is set. No amount of fudging the dates is going to change anything. The rule applies whatever. Claiming would evasion so it's up to you if it's worth the risk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Makes no odds to the client. Come November they're either going to want me to stay over xmas or not - two weeks isnt going to matter.

Also, as you know, just because the contract says end of november they could get rid of me end octrober if they so desired.

Even if you get canned BEFORE the end of a gig that takes you over 24 months you still CANNOT claim...

Example
    Hassan has worked for his employer for 3 years and is sent to perform full-time duties at
    a workplace for 28 months. The posting is unexpectedly ended after 18 months. No tax
    relief is available for the cost of travel between his home and the workplace, because his
    attendance is expected to exceed 24 months (though in fact it does not). The workplace is
    therefore a permanent workplace and the journey is ordinary commuting.
    Section 3.21 of this document...

Remember the rule is about the workplace being temp or perm which dictates whether you can claim or not. Thinking like that makes this example understandable.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Suck it up PC - they've offered the 3 month extension so you now have the expectation that it will go over the 24 months. The only option you've got (and you need to be prepared to walk) is to ask for an extra £25 a day or whatever amount you think you can get away with. Justify it with your experience of clientco. That said, you're also now well into part and parcel so the IR35 flag probably needs a look as well.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Depends on your appetite for risk. This is one of those things that will only come to light if HMRC ever do a thorough investigation into your expenses.

I've had such an investigation years ago (so their approach may have since changed) and IIRC they didn't even want to check the contract terms or start/end/renewal dates as regards the 24 month rule. They just wanted breakdown of the expenses figure for mileage, accommodation, PIE, to make sure it looked legit, then moved onto pension contributions, then got bored after about 6 months of letters to and fro and said I owed them nothing.

Not sure the worry is worth it for a few months of expenses. They are like a dog with a bone if they think you're hiding something, whether you are or not.
    Yeh know what you mean. Unofficially asking for a shorter term was about as far as I would go here.

I dont think its worth the risk now I've officially recieved notification from agency of an extension offer past 24 months.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I think I do in this case I must admit. Not sure I agree with the "expecting a renewal" argument.

You could argue that after a year, you could expect to recieve extensions after this over 24 months. But in reality you cant expect anything.

I've been offered extensions verbally int he past that have then been vetoed by head office and didnt happen.

Sorry in my book, I can't expect to be somewhere until the contract is offered.
    You have been offered on this occasion and you know this takes you over 24 months.

Not only that you have stated as such on here

Leave a comment:

Working...
X