• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why I will never use Gorilla Accounting."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    It is very strange that certain posters are getting so wound up about an accountants marketing activity. If it was their accountancy standards or service levels I think these comments would carry more weight.

Chill out, if junk mail is all you have to worry about then count your blessings.
    Some junk mail is an issue though e.g. charities.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Why I will never use Gorilla Accounting.

It is very strange that certain posters are getting so wound up about an accountants marketing activity. If it was their accountancy standards or service levels I think these comments would carry more weight.

Chill out, if junk mail is all you have to worry about then count your blessings.
    Last edited by Waldorf; 1 May 2016, 07:56.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    It's the second thread it's generated, unless you hold to the absurd axiom that any publicity (even bad) is better than no publicity then you'd need a particular mindset to see either as a triumph rather than a screwup.

I object to their marketing strategy of spam mailing, it's left a negative impression which has overwritten the generally positive one that a few posters who had switched to them had established. In their shoes I would be pretty upset by that.
    Well said.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by BurdockTheContractor View Post
    Their marketing campaign clearly worked as it generated a 5 page forum posting and get everyone talking about them.
    It's the second thread it's generated, unless you hold to the absurd axiom that any publicity (even bad) is better than no publicity then you'd need a particular mindset to see either as a triumph rather than a screwup.

I object to their marketing strategy of spam mailing, it's left a negative impression which has overwritten the generally positive one that a few posters who had switched to them had established. In their shoes I would be pretty upset by that.

Leave a comment:

• BurdockTheContractor
    replied
    Their marketing campaign clearly worked as it generated a 5 page forum posting and get everyone talking about them.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    About Find A Chartered Accountant

You can be confident that all firms listed have at least one ICAEW Chartered Accountant and are monitored by ICAEW.

guess so!
    Thanks pr1, good to know!

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
    I would imagine they are but I'm not 100% on this to be honest.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    About Find A Chartered Accountant

You can be confident that all firms listed have at least one ICAEW Chartered Accountant and are monitored by ICAEW.

guess so!

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    They're on ICAEW but I don't know if that means they're bound to their rules or not?

Gorilla Accounting. The ICAEW Chartered Accountants Directory
    I would imagine they are but I'm not 100% on this to be honest.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    I'm not sure if Gorilla are actually regulated by ICAEW (or any accounting body) as I can't see any mention of this on their website (but they simply might not publish who they are regulated by). If this is the case then they won't be bound by the institutes guidelines so can do what they like.

We were specifically advised by ICAEW that targeting the clients of another firm (not sure if Gorilla specifically went for another firms clients or not?) is against the ethical code of conduct for ICAEW regulated firms so didn't do anything further. You cannot say anything negative about another firm either so we couldn't say we provide a better service then XYZ Accountancy etc in marketing material.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    They're on ICAEW but I don't know if that means they're bound to their rules or not?

Gorilla Accounting. The ICAEW Chartered Accountants Directory

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    I suspect Gorilla trod close to, but not over, this line (ICBW)

Cold calling
    You may make an unsolicited approach in writing, by fax, e-mail,
    telephone or personal visit to promote any of the services you
    provide. You should ensure, of course, that your approach is in
    accordance with the guidance and that you do not mislead, offend,
    insult or harass your target.
    I'm not sure if Gorilla are actually regulated by ICAEW (or any accounting body) as I can't see any mention of this on their website (but they simply might not publish who they are regulated by). If this is the case then they won't be bound by the institutes guidelines so can do what they like.

We were specifically advised by ICAEW that targeting the clients of another firm (not sure if Gorilla specifically went for another firms clients or not?) is against the ethical code of conduct for ICAEW regulated firms so didn't do anything further. You cannot say anything negative about another firm either so we couldn't say we provide a better service then XYZ Accountancy etc in marketing material.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    I must say this has been an interesting thread to follow and hear each side's opinion on this, seems that you either hate the 'spam advertising' or you have no issues with it.

We'd considered doing this a couple of years ago as it is so easy to get the necessary information from the internet (Companies House et al) and would probably have a decent ROI in terms of attracting new clients but in the end decided against it. A couple of reasons to this, firstly we didn't want to spam potential clients but secondly we were actually advised it was against our professional guidelines (ICAEW) to actively try to encourage a client away from their existing accountant via unsolicited mailing (email, post or phone).

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    I suspect Gorilla trod close to, but not over, this line (ICBW)

Cold calling
    You may make an unsolicited approach in writing, by fax, e-mail,
    telephone or personal visit to promote any of the services you
    provide. You should ensure, of course, that your approach is in
    accordance with the guidance and that you do not mislead, offend,
    insult or harass your target.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I must say this has been an interesting thread to follow and hear each side's opinion on this, seems that you either hate the 'spam advertising' or you have no issues with it.

We'd considered doing this a couple of years ago as it is so easy to get the necessary information from the internet (Companies House et al) and would probably have a decent ROI in terms of attracting new clients but in the end decided against it. A couple of reasons to this, firstly we didn't want to spam potential clients but secondly we were actually advised it was against our professional guidelines (ICAEW) to actively try to encourage a client away from their existing accountant via unsolicited mailing (email, post or phone).

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    EXACTLY my point. Others seem to have missed or ignored that. if a client or even a prospective client made a complaint against me to my professional body, I am certain I'd be called to London there and then to explain myself.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    A lot of us work in IT thus are signed upto so many systems that send us spam that managing our mailboxes becomes a pita. I think I can speak for most of us when I say an unsolicited mail is something we don't like. I'd even go as far to suggest you dont send marketing mail but obviously it has some success or you wouldn't do it.
    Yes, I concur with that even though I'm not in IT.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    @OP wow... you really don't understand marketing
    FFS!!! I'm an engineer, nothing else!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X