• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Selling own home to ltd co"

Collapse

• garnet
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So that's the basis of all your tax evading advice over the last week... Do it because of HMRC's inability to catch you and deal with it.. Proper smart that is. You are going to see a lot more BS on this board if that's your view. What a moron.
    The only moron on this board is YOU. Period!
    However I don't want to go into confrontation.
    HMRS may catch you for anything basically. Proving they are right is a completely different thing. If you weren't like you are you'd know that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by garnet View Post
    Nothing, except hmrc's inability to prove this (or any other legal doing which reduces tax) in court.
    So that's the basis of all your tax evading advice over the last week... Do it because of HMRC's inability to catch you and deal with it.. Proper smart that is. You are going to see a lot more BS on this board if that's your view. What a moron.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Nothing, except hmrc's inability to prove this (or any other legal doing which reduces tax) in court.
    By which rationale you'd also shoplift if you knew the shop assistant was in the back room and the cctv was busted? No chance of getting caught, let's fill up on pasties and maltesers.

Leave a comment:

• garnet
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    ...........What could possibly go wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    BS, BS, sorry I am allergic to BS!

Do you always try to pay the biggest possible amount of tax? Seems so to me.
    We are not stupid are we?
    There's a huge difference between not paying the highest possible amount of tax and being deliberately dishonest in avoiding tax. Lying by omission is still lying. Which means it's fraud. But if that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. What could possibly go wrong?

Leave a comment:

• garnet
    replied
    He would then be commiting fraud or tax evasion or both.
    BS, BS, sorry I am allergic to BS!

Do you always try to pay the biggest possible amount of tax? Seems so to me.
    We are not stupid are we?

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    True story

A relative of mine bought their house from her maj.

The bloke selling it forgot to mention that it belonged to his company, which had gone bust.
    The usual searches turned this up and the property was then purchased from the crown.

True story.

Leave a comment:

• john@UKCA
    replied
    Originally posted by georgeg View Post

ChimpMaster - CGT will be 0 when I sell the house to the ltd, because I live in it ever since I bought it.

Do you have any reference where this is stated? It would be very useful.
    The connected party rules for stamp duty applies where you are transferring property to limited company at under value.

The 3% stamp duty hike only applies if you personally own more than one property at the end of the transaction day when you purchase a property.

There are exceptions to this rule for replacing your main residence.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by deeh View Post
    Why?
    That's specifically why I mentioned Foxtons. An established, professional (ok, Foxtons) company whose job it is to provide realistic estimates on the value of a property.
    He doesn't go out of his way to point out the cracks in the wall, or that leaky tap (like he wouldn't if selling normally). Then uses the independent estimate as his sales value.

Then when his company comes to sell the house they're at the mercy of the rest of the market. Might get lucky - great, you've got to pay tax on more profit. He might be unlucky.
    Because you are well aware the figures are not accurate and are manipulating them to gain a tax advantage.

Your last line kinda destroys your own point so back to letting the thread die nice and quietly.

Leave a comment:

• deeh
    replied
    Why?
    That's specifically why I mentioned Foxtons. An established, professional (ok, Foxtons) company whose job it is to provide realistic estimates on the value of a property.
    He doesn't go out of his way to point out the cracks in the wall, or that leaky tap (like he wouldn't if selling normally). Then uses the independent estimate as his sales value.

And, if anyone ever looked into the sale price, surely having above estimate would be better than than 'That's what Zoopla said it was at the time' based on the algorithm of the day.

Then when his company comes to sell the house they're at the mercy of the rest of the market. Might get lucky - great, you've got to pay tax on more profit. He might be unlucky.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by deeh View Post
    Dredging the thread I know, but

What if he went to Foxtons and obtained a hugely optimistic valuation, then based the purchase price on that. Independent valuation = fair price?
    At the point his company sold the property they might find that the taxable profits aren't as large as they might have been with a more realistic original valuation.

Leave a comment:

• deeh
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Any profit made when your company re-sells the property will be liable for corporation tax.
    Dredging the thread I know, but

What if he went to Foxtons and obtained a hugely optimistic valuation, then based the purchase price on that. Independent valuation = fair price?
    At the point his company sold the property they might find that the taxable profits aren't as large as they might have been with a more realistic original valuation.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Any profit made when your company re-sells the property will be liable for corporation tax.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by georgeg View Post
    TheFaQQer - HMRC might come calling, but I work with the assumption that. I have my accounts and all affairs clean, hence, not worried on that either. Unless if this house purchase would be seen as foul play by HMRC.
    I'm sure Jon Bessell thought much the same, but if you're certain then it's not at risk then good luck.

Leave a comment:

• georgeg
    replied
    Hello,

Thank you all for your input so far.

I've been very busy with work and didn't have a chance to catch up on this.

The "old" property is currently my main home, however I intend to move on to a new one, and the "old" one will be rented until the right moment to sell on. That is the point where I was thinking of leveraging ER.

For litigation I have PI, however liability clause on every contract is up to the value of the signed contract so, not too worried about that.

TheFaQQer - HMRC might come calling, but I work with the assumption that. I have my accounts and all affairs clean, hence, not worried on that either. Unless if this house purchase would be seen as foul play by HMRC.

borderreiver - The whole idea of selling the house to the company is to allow me to mobilize the ltd cash reserves for the purchase of a new personal home. The existing "old" house was always destined for sale. It will be sold again by the company in the near future, when the right opportunity turns up. You could see that as protecting the company reserves (assuming that the house prices continue to trend upwards, beating inflation, while the house is owned by the ltd).

ChimpMaster - CGT will be 0 when I sell the house to the ltd, because I live in it ever since I bought it.
    If I remember correctly, your Ltd Co and you are not seen as different when it comes to the additional stamp duty.
    Do you have any reference where this is stated? It would be very useful.

Thanks again,
    George

Leave a comment:

Working...
X