• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giving notice on contract - any particular wording I should use?"

Collapse

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
    it's also very frustrating to come and ask for advice and find snarky responses. it's a forum, where people come with questions to look for advice, if you haven't got any useful advice to give, then move along to a post where you do have something useful to input. Constantly telling people "ask your accountant" isn't very helpful, if I want to check with my accountant, I'll ask my accountant, if I want to ask a forum, I'll ask a forum.
    +1. Very well said.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
    it's also very frustrating to come and ask for advice and find snarky responses. it's a forum, where people come with questions to look for advice, if you haven't got any useful advice to give, then move along to a post where you do have something useful to input. Constantly telling people "ask your accountant" isn't very helpful, if I want to check with my accountant, I'll ask my accountant, if I want to ask a forum, I'll ask a forum.
    That might be true for you but many people are either just being lazy or are not used to having an accountant on tap. They get stuck and just hit the net. If that is the case a bit of prodding to point out this is the beat place and there are better options is good advice IMO.

Leave a comment:

• moneymoney
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Indeed but it's frustrating when people don't understand the absolute basics of their engagement. If they understood who they are contracted with and who they should inform out of professional courtesy they would not only not have to ask this question it would make many other situations clear rather than flailing about everytime.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    He's a new contractor and giving notice and asking for a bit of advice, isn't that what this thing is for? God give a the a guy a break.
    Indeed but it's frustrating when people don't understand the absolute basics of their engagement. If they understood who they are contracted with and who they should inform out of professional courtesy they would not only not have to ask this question it would make many other situations clear rather than flailing about everytime.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    He's a new contractor and giving notice and asking for a bit of advice, isn't that what this thing is for? God give a the a guy a break.
    Go easy..

He's just hitting out now that he's Lucid Dementia's bitch

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    +1. If people don't want to read posts on questions regarding contracting issues then w.o.e. are they doing here ?

Boo

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Looks OK. Would you like us to hold your hand while you do it?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Thanks What The Feck?

I think he was just being friendly and not using my surname.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    There may be terms in the contract as to how notices relating to it should be delivered.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by jamtoday View Post
    Thanks WTF
    Thanks What The Feck?

Leave a comment:

• jamtoday
    replied
    Thanks WTF

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by jamtoday View Post
    Hi CUK,

I need to give early notice on my current contract and wondered if there was anything formal/legal I need to include.

Do I give it to the agent, client or both?

Will email suffice?

Would this do?: 'Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause but in accordance with the terms and conditions expressed in out contract, I need to give 4 weeks notice with immediate effect'.

thanks

1. Agent only. Your contract is with them
    2. No need to apologize.

"In accordance with the terms and conditions of my contract I wish to give you 4 weeks notice of termination, effective today. My final day of work on this contract will be Tuesday 29th December." (that's the nearest working day to 4 weeks from today)

It's always good to put in the date you mean as your last working day, saves confusion, or a risk that the agent and client discuss one date when you mean another, so they decide to get you for breach of contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Looks OK. Would you like us to hold your hand while you do it?

Leave a comment:

• Giving notice on contract - any particular wording I should use?

Hi CUK,

I need to give early notice on my current contract and wondered if there was anything formal/legal I need to include.

Do I give it to the agent, client or both?

Will email suffice?

Would this do?: 'Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause but in accordance with the terms and conditions expressed in out contract, I need to give 4 weeks notice with immediate effect'.

thanks

Working...
X