• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Laptop for my LTD

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Laptop for my LTD"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    As an iOS developer that needs test devices for each platform, yes.
    Fair enough then. As you were.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Oh the only reason for surface book or xps 13 compared to alienware etc. is the weight.

You can get a beefy 13" laptop that plays all the latest games from loads of vendors but it will weigh a metric beepton.

Annoying that MS won't tell you exactly what GPU or CPU you'll get because it makes it hard to choose what to go for.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Seriously?
    As an iOS developer that needs test devices for each platform, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Its really up to YourCo how it chooses to classify things as either expenses or assets so I would go with your accountant's advice on this. I used to classify all hardware as assets, including phones and such but now I tend to classify hardware below £1k as an expense and anything above as an asset. So the company phone, iPad and Apple Watch are expenses but my laptop is an asset.

It makes little different to the tax treatment overall as you offset the cost in your first year under the annual investment allowance. The accountings a bit more involved for assets as you have to account for depreciation (and add it back when calculating your CT bill) and handling the sale/write-off of the asset is a bit more involved compared to just an expense.
    Seriously?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Depends how it really squares up to the likes of Alienware for gaming on the move

It looks promising though

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    XPS 13 refresh is out, it is very close to the surface book minus the discrete GPU, it also weighs 2.9lbs compared to the book's 3.5lbs.

If the discrete GPU is pants, I'll get an XPS, otherwise I'll get a surface book

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...s/surface-book will be the only option once it is available

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Surface Book for me too now! Screw the XPS 13!

Well, probably.

It depends on what the GPU will be. They've made it very mysterious. If it's tulipe then I might not bother and XPS 13 will be back on the tables, cos it doesn't weigh as much. The Skylake GPU isn't really all that bad. Not planning on gaming anyway.

No release date in the UK though either. 26th October for the US, 14th November for Australia (apparently). UK? No idea.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sociopath View Post
    Are surface pro's any good?
    For me, the SP3 is a very decent device. Not cheap, but decently powerful (depending on which variant, I suppose) and more than capable of being my everyday machine.
    Now ClientCo have landed one of their laptops on me for daily work, the SP3 is far preferable as a device to do the rest of my stuff on, whilst away from home.

Leave a comment:

• sociopath
    replied
    Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book for business or both with one for light work commuting to client office and other for heavy work at own office? Thought I'd ask for your thoughts since you are all IT gurus and I'm a humble engineer.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    But only if you require an expensive laptop "package" which must all come from the same VAT registered retailer and be on one invoice. So don't use Amazon marketplace.
    So a base model Apple then? :O)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Apple...
    Some people prefer thinkpads or high spec machines that could be used for gaming...

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    But only if you require an expensive laptop "package" which must all come from the same VAT registered retailer and be on one invoice. So don't use Amazon marketplace.
    Apple...

Leave a comment:

• sociopath
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    MyCo insisted on a Gigabyte P35K, as ability to play games was deemed a therapeutic use of downtime and facilitated a considerably better work ethic, from being recharged and relaxed......

But then, ClientCo required me to stop using own hardware, after 18 months, as there VM vendor went under and all were migrated back on to......Dell Latitude E6220 ......however, MyCo - being prudent - foresaw this woe and insisted on an i7 Surface Pro 3 to be used for note taking in meetings etc.

TL;DR = I have 2 lovely machines
    Are surface pro's any good?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    MyCo insisted on a Gigabyte P35K, as ability to play games was deemed a therapeutic use of downtime and facilitated a considerably better work ethic, from being recharged and relaxed......

But then, ClientCo required me to stop using own hardware, after 18 months, as there VM vendor went under and all were migrated back on to......Dell Latitude E6220 ......however, MyCo - being prudent - foresaw this woe and insisted on an i7 Surface Pro 3 to be used for note taking in meetings etc.

TL;DR = I have 2 lovely machines
    What does your company's personnel do their training, correspondence and accounts on?

Surely for keeping your skill set up to date you need a decent laptop?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X