• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Draw salary from my limited company when out of contract"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I think
    Citation needed

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I think in reality, a lot of you would claim just wouldn't admit it.
    Ah, another "thinker", must be completely true, then

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Everyone's morals differ...
    Yes and mine extend to processing my financial affairs in the best LEGAL way for me.

(Oh hang on, don't a lot of us do this and avoid NI LEGALLY by paying low salary, and dividends)

My morals certainly don't extend to not doing something just because some stranger on a forum pontificates that, in their opinion, its just not right.

As I've always said, its easy to sit on your high horse and spout off on a forum that you're a 'proper' contractor and are so rich you wouldn't lower yourself to go to the job centre. I think in reality, a lot of you would claim just wouldn't admit it.

But I don't care. Claim or don't claim its up to you.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Moderator message - certain comments about drawing dividends when you've made a loss, have been moved to here to enable appropriate sarcasm and opprobrium to be applied.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Ah you're assuming I have morals....
    Everyone's morals differ...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    He no longer had it, though, he repaid his credit card.
    In fact he probably repaid the Florida holiday

Legally difficult to prove he has done wrong, morally....?
    Ah you're assuming I have morals....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Another thing to think of. JSA for 3 months. £950. Even in the unlikely event that HMRC say "right thats it no more expenses for you matey", you'd have to incur almost £5K in expenses before losing out.
    No you wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You claim jobseekers without making them aware you have more than 16k** company money you are pushing fraud.

** if the 16k applies. Mentioned by some guides and not by others.
    He no longer had it, though, he repaid his credit card.
    In fact he probably repaid the Florida holiday

Legally difficult to prove he has done wrong, morally....?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Not sure how the tax return is a valid example? We fill it in as we are allowed to. You claim jobseekers without making them aware you have more than 16k company money you are pushing fraud.
    I agree. But I never answer anything untruthfully.

I admit if you have savings then this would preclude you of course.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ah no you fill out the forms generally. They just dont ask for evidence.

But then we all do that every year with our tax return dont we? If you lie and get found out, its your look out.
    Not sure how the tax return is a valid example? We fill it in as we are allowed to. You claim jobseekers without making them aware you have more than 16k** company money you are pushing fraud.

** depending on what you are claiming for.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 January 2016, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Another thing to think of. JSA for 3 months. £950. Even in the unlikely event that HMRC say "right thats it no more expenses for you matey", you'd have to incur almost £5K in expenses before losing out.
    I read it as being all your expenses from the start or your company or the period they can go back as they will have proved you are using a vehicle for short term contracts and not a long term relationship with your company... but who knows as per the last line.

Lucky there are so few contractors with under 16k savings+company money out there to make it an issue I guess.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Not surprising really unfortunately. The guides say you need to submit company paperwork as evidence of savings when applying but I bet they never ask for it. That said if you get clobbered you complaining they didn't ask you won't stand up as a defence. Blindly signing up for something you think you are not eligible for will only come back on you.
    Ah no you fill out the forms generally. They just dont ask for evidence.

But then we all do that every year with our tax return dont we? If you lie and get found out, its your look out.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Another thing to think of. JSA for 3 months. £950.
    Funnily enough, My gardener keeps that, exact, amount in his pocket for "incidentals"

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    I signed on once.

I was going to an evening class on art. It was a load of pretentious crap as you might imagine but we went to the pub afterwards.

The price for the course varied. If you were unemployed you got it for next to nothing.

For the JobCentreI had to do a spreadsheet to say what I was doing to get a job.

Then I had to give them my CV.

The guy had me in and said "It's so long it looks more like a bid document"

And, do you know, he was right

They didn't seem to make any attempt whatsoever to find out about my circumstances or whether or not I was entitled to claim. They just paid out.
    Yep same as me. And neither did they send me for interviews for "trolley parker in tesco" either. They're nice enough, and will leave you alone.

My theory is (And no-one seems to believe me) that they've got enough scrotes to deal with, so having little time to worry about people who are obviously looking for a new gig and will be gone soon anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

They didn't seem to make any attempt whatsoever to find out about my circumstances or whether or not I was entitled to claim. They just paid out.
    Not surprising really unfortunately. The guides say you need to submit company paperwork as evidence of savings when applying but I bet they never ask for it. That said if you get clobbered you complaining they didn't ask you won't stand up as a defence. Blindly signing up for something you think you are not eligible for will only come back on you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X