• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New to Contracting (Contract finished due to org moving to Permanent Staff)"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Each engagement is different.

Some examples of ones I've had....
    4x3months at one client - final extension was to bring a new junior permie up to speed and in effect manage myself out of the contract.
    2x6 months at another - second six months was cut short after two of the months because of a change in project direction. Fortunately got two weeks to end the phase of the project tidily.
    4x 3 months at another client - chose not to extend as it was getting towards a stage where I wasn't enjoying the work, project was coming to an end and I had another offer on the table.

Main thing is to be professional about it; you're now a professional consultancy company, not an employeee.

Leave a comment:

• riffpie
    replied
    Originally posted by cookra View Post
    I'm sat next to the perm I have to train (effectively my replacement).
    Train him/her? Or hand over your work? It's perfectly reasonable for them to ask you to hand over work to someone who has the skills to pick it up. If they're expecting you to literally train someone who can't currently do the job, unless it explicitly says you are expected to do so in the engagement, I'd offer them your training services separately. But being asked to hand something over is the norm, and you shouldn't take it personally, or get huffy about it.

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied
    Happened in my last gig, I got rolled forward 3 times, 3 months a pop, then the managing director changed 10 months in and I was sent on my way - to be fair I was ready to move on so didn't mind.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Thanks all, nothing bad will come of it for us - straight on to the next gig.. I guess I was a bit green when they sold me the 6month + extension I suppose, my question is, does this happen a great deal - mid contract?
    It's not common, but far from unknown. The point of using contractors is flexibility, if the role changes, gets de-scoped or the whole project gets binned then it happens.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Hi All,

It's now Monday and i'm sat next to the perm I have to train (effectively my replacement).

D
    Sounds like you are inside of IR35

Your employer is right to put your role via payroll

Leave a comment:

• cookra
    replied

Thanks all, nothing bad will come of it for us - straight on to the next gig.. I guess I was a bit green when they sold me the 6month + extension I suppose, my question is, does this happen a great deal - mid contract?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Assignment duration or expected duration: The Assignment will start on 23rd April 2015 and will continue until either the completion of the Consultancy Services or 23rd October 2015
    Unless your contract defines Consultancy Services as the provision of a handover to a replacement, then you can pack up and go now - the services for which you contracted are complete.

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Effectively instant dismissal.
    Now who thinks we are employed?

Joking

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So what is your expectation of contracting? You have lots of rights and clients must pay you and give you work until the contract ends and everything is nice and easy? You've still got a permie mentality and you need to change that quickly. They fact you refer to being employed kinda backs that up.

Try looking at it from the clients perspective. You've brought a temporary resource to fill a hole for a bit but things have changed. What would you do?

Just be happy they are honouring your notice. Many places would just have told you not to come in tomorrow so you don't get another penny from them which they have the right to do. Effectively instant dismissal.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Indeed, they've invoked a 1 month notice clause, are willing to pay you to see it out (far from a guaranteed thing that) and you've been asked to do a handover which is perfectly reasonable.

You've no cause for complaint.

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied
    contracts end early. Its the reality of what we do

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Hi All,

My first post so "Hi" first off!

I have recently started contracting and my first gig as a Ltd company has just gone south.

I have been employed on a six month contract which started in April this year. I was informed two weeks ago that the org will be changing its stance on contractors and moving towards permanent staff. I was then informed verbally and by email on Thursday last that my 1 month termination period was in affect. It's now Monday and i'm sat next to the perm I have to train (effectively my replacement).

So, i've heard a few things on this - some say that's just contracting, others saying it's not right. To be honest it feels wrong sitting here..

I would imagine most of this comes down to my contract.. So this is what I have:-

How do we define this the project is still ongoing... Is this statement wide open for their interpretation?

This just feels odd..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

D
    Nothing wrong with it at all. You are on your month's notice as per the contract (which is good - many contractors don't get that).

They've simply decided that they no longer require your services, it doesn't mean that the project has to end before you can go.

Leave a comment:

• New to Contracting (Contract finished due to org moving to Permanent Staff)

Hi All,

My first post so "Hi" first off!

I have recently started contracting and my first gig as a Ltd company has just gone south.

I have been employed on a six month contract which started in April this year. I was informed two weeks ago that the org will be changing its stance on contractors and moving towards permanent staff. I was then informed verbally and by email on Thursday last that my 1 month termination period was in affect. It's now Monday and i'm sat next to the perm I have to train (effectively my replacement).

So, i've heard a few things on this - some say that's just contracting, others saying it's not right. To be honest it feels wrong sitting here..

I would imagine most of this comes down to my contract.. So this is what I have:-

Notices: All notices which are required to be given in accordance with this Agreement shall be in writing and may be delivered personally or by first class prepaid post to the registered office of the party upon whom the notice is to be served or any other address that the party has notified the other party in writing, by email or facsimile transmission. Any such notice shall be deemed to have been served: if by hand when delivered, if by first class post 48 hours following posting and if by email or facsimile transmission, when that email or facsimile is sent.

Assignment duration or expected duration: The Assignment will start on 23rd April 2015 and will continue until either the completion of the Consultancy Services or 23rd October 2015
    Notice to terminate: 1 Month reciprocal (save where the engagement can be terminated without notice in accordance with the terms of the Agreement)
    How do we define this the project is still ongoing... Is this statement wide open for their interpretation?

This just feels odd..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

D

Working...
X