• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Closing my Limited Company"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
    Is that location based on what it says in your "schedule", or let's say the schedule has a location but more than 50% of the time a week, you are not in that location, and othertimes you are even working from home?

What is applicable here?
    It's where you work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
    Is that location based on what it says in your "schedule", or let's say the schedule has a location but more than 50% of the time a week, you are not in that location, and othertimes you are even working from home?

What is applicable here?
    I'll let you try and work that one out.....

Leave a comment:

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You can only claim subsidence for a temporary location. Past 24 months it is considered your permanent location. If you only have one location it has to be your permanent one so you can't claim either.

What is applicable here?

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It was the case that your last engagement became your permanent place of work. However, LisaContractorUmbrella got clarification on this and it's not the case any more - as long as you have had multiple locations, the last one will still be seen as temporary.
    Does seem a bit of common sense to me. Do you always know that a contract will be your last whilst doing it? I'd imagine you often wouldn't until right near the end (eg when that brill permie job offer comes in, or change in family circumstances dictate a change of working style).

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It's the 24 month rule. You can only claim subsidence for a temporary location. Past 24 months it is considered your permanent location. If you only have one location it has to be your permanent one so you can't claim either.
    Clarified that - the reference to 24 months is irrelevant in this case. You claim based on a temporary location - if you've only had one location then it must have been permanent.

I thought the same could be said for your last location when you close a company after multiple gig's but some argued this and I can't remember the answer.
    It was the case that your last engagement became your permanent place of work. However, LisaContractorUmbrella got clarification on this and it's not the case any more - as long as you have had multiple locations, the last one will still be seen as temporary.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
    First I've heard of this. I have read a lot of HMRC guidance recently and not come across such a restriction. I am here to learn though so would be eager for the source of your information.
    It's the 24 month rule. You can only claim subsidence for a temporary location. Past 24 months it is considered your permanent location. If you only have one location it has to be your permanent one so you can't claim either. I thought the same could be said for your last location when you close a company after multiple gig's but some argued this and I can't remember the answer.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 May 2015, 23:52.

Leave a comment:

• breaktwister
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

btw - if your company has only lasted one contract, you cannot claim travel and subsistence expenses. (Well, you can, but they'll be BIK).
    First I've heard of this. I have read a lot of HMRC guidance recently and not come across such a restriction. I am here to learn though so would be eager for the source of your information.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Originally posted by magnus29 View Post
    I guess I can use this forum as second opinion Yes they will certainly handle but I have very limited knowledge so I'm taking your help make sure my accountant is doing job correctly.

Please advise. Thanks
    Ask for a:
    P45
    Cessation accounts and corporation tax return to be made up to the trade ceased date
    Final VAT return
    You can submit your own DS01 form to Companies House
    Personal tax return covering the tax year in which you closed your company; once this has been submitted you can call hmrc to let them know nothing further is due

Leave a comment:

• magnus29
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Isn't this something your accountants will handle?
    I guess I can use this forum as second opinion Yes they will certainly handle but I have very limited knowledge so I'm taking your help make sure my accountant is doing job correctly.

Please advise. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by magnus29 View Post

Could anyone please advise me the list of documents/certificates I need to get to make sure a proper company closure is done?
    Isn't this something your accountants will handle?

btw - if your company has only lasted one contract, you cannot claim travel and subsistence expenses. (Well, you can, but they'll be BIK).

Leave a comment:

• magnus29
    started a topic Closing my Limited Company

Closing my Limited Company

Hello

I started a Limited company one year ago and worked for like 10 months. My contract expired 2 months ago and no plans to work in near future so I decided to close my company and requested my Accountant to start closure process. They will do the required things to close the company on my behalf.

Could anyone please advise me the list of documents/certificates I need to get to make sure a proper company closure is done?

Also, please advise me on how to make sure that they have done proper filing for tax returns of me/my company for the last year (which is due now)

Thanks
    Magnus

Working...
X