• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Change tax code using RTI Basic PAYE Tools"

Collapse

• oversteer
    replied
    I think that's the message you get when you are trying to change the code with the previous tax year selected.

Leave a comment:

• pmasoft
    replied
    Originally posted by ittony View Post
    Oh, how do you get to that? The only thing I can find, and this is using a fresh download and clean install from four days ago, of Basic PAYE Tools - Standard Mode, on Windows, is under:

Employer | Manage Employees | Employee | Tax code change

whereupon the text of the actioning option is:

[ ] HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has issued a tax code (P6) for this employee
    or
    HMRC has not yet issued any tax codes (P6) for this employee but I have now received a P45 part 3 from this employee.
    You get to it by clicking the link that was supplied in the reply....Doh!

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    Just done it now. The relevant option is
    "I have received a P9(T) or P9X for the tax year shown at the top of the page, or have viewed the P9X guidance online at GOV.UK." (emphasis added)

So go and read P9X guidance at
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../P9X_2015_.pdf
    and it says "Add 60 to any tax code starting L"

Now you can truthfully choose the second option.
    Oh, how do you get to that? The only thing I can find, and this is using a fresh download and clean install from four days ago, of Basic PAYE Tools - Standard Mode, on Windows, is under:

Employer | Manage Employees | Employee | Tax code change

whereupon the text of the actioning option is:

[ ] HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has issued a tax code (P6) for this employee
    or
    HMRC has not yet issued any tax codes (P6) for this employee but I have now received a P45 part 3 from this employee.

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    Just done it now. The relevant option is
    "I have received a P9(T) or P9X for the tax year shown at the top of the page, or have viewed the P9X guidance online at GOV.UK." (emphasis added)

So go and read P9X guidance at
    and it says "Add 60 to any tax code starting L"

Now you can truthfully choose the second option.

Leave a comment:

• pmasoft
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    There is nothing stopping you doing it, but the RTI tool makes it quite clear you should only do it if you have had a P6 for the employee.

If you play by the rules then you can't just change it.
    When has last time HMRC ever made a sensible rule?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Its been a while since I used the Basic PAYE tools but I don't think I ever needed a coding notice to update the tax code for the new year - you can automatically update to the new normal tax code for the tax year without a coding notice.
    There is nothing stopping you doing it, but the RTI tool makes it quite clear you should only do it if you have had a P6 for the employee.

If you play by the rules then you can't just change it.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Its been a while since I used the Basic PAYE tools but I don't think I ever needed a coding notice to update the tax code for the new year - you can automatically update to the new normal tax code for the tax year without a coding notice.

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by alphadog View Post
    I recently updated my version of HMRC's RTI software. Apparently everyone has to (as indeed you have) because auto updates don't cut the mustard.

When I tried submitting my first salary payment for the current tax year (using the new software), I got a warning that my tax code was the default emergency tax code for the previous year. I duly updated it to the current year's tax code and submitted it without any problems.
    That's the warning it was giving me the whole of last year, but I couldn't change it without saying yes to "HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has issued a tax code (P6) for this employee". Now it doesn't even give me the warning because my tax code is now two years out of date, but I still can't change it without having to answer the same question untruthfully. Were you able do so via some other means?

Leave a comment:

• alphadog
    replied
    Hi nozmeister. Yes, I've got the latest software and have selected the new tax year...
    I recently updated my version of HMRC's RTI software. Apparently everyone has to (as indeed you have) because auto updates don't cut the mustard.

When I tried submitting my first salary payment for the current tax year (using the new software), I got a warning that my tax code was the default emergency tax code for the previous year. I duly updated it to the current year's tax code and submitted it without any problems.

Leave a comment:

• nozmeister
    replied
    Have you the latest RTI software?

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by nozmeister View Post
    Have you changed the RTI software to the new tax year?

It gives an option to change the tax code as you will have received notification through P9X.

Hi nozmeister. Yes, I've got the latest software and have selected the new tax year, but the only place I can find to change the tax code is using the "Tax code change" link in the employee screen which presents me with the following options:

[ ] HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has issued a tax code (P6) for this employee, or, HMRC has not yet issued any tax codes (P6) for this employee but I have now received a P45 part 3 from this employee.

[ ] I have not received anything from either HMRC, or, this employee or I have now received a P45 part 3 from this employee, but in the meantime HMRC has already issued a tax code (P6) for this employee.

I can't truthfully opt for the former, and selecting the latter results in: "No further action is required. You will now be re-directed to the 'Employer database'. Thank you.", with no change to the tax code made.

Is there another way of doing it I'm missing?
    Last edited by ittony; 27 April 2015, 21:01.

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Contact HMRC as an individual, not in your company name, and request an updated tax code. They should send it to you, and send a P6 to your company address or via online notification.

in the meantime log onto the HMRC portal as yourself and your company and check your notifications to make sure they ant lurking in there somewhere.
    Thanks Dave. I am trying to contact HMRC in a parallel line of attack, but it's proving difficult to get to speak with a human being at the moment, no option to hold for one even, just an automated "all our operators are busy, sorry about that, cheerio."

Good idea on checking the online portal for any electronic notices, but unfortunately the coding notices sections are empty on both the employers and employees portals. I assume they just don't send them out for employee on the standard tax code, and rely on the employers just bumping them up each year according to the guidance on the P9X document. There just doesn't appear to be any way of acting on that guidance using their own PAYE software.

Leave a comment:

• nozmeister
    replied
    Have you changed the RTI software to the new tax year?

It gives an option to change the tax code as you will have received notification through P9X.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    The RTI Basic PAYE Tools software Change Tax Code screen will only let me update my tax code if I have received a P6 tax code notice, and I have therefore been stuck on 944L since 2013. What am I supposed to do?
    Contact HMRC as an individual, not in your company name, and request an updated tax code. They should send it to you, and send a P6 to your company address or via online notification.

in the meantime log onto the HMRC portal as yourself and your company and check your notifications to make sure they ant lurking in there somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    started a topic Change tax code using RTI Basic PAYE Tools

Change tax code using RTI Basic PAYE Tools

The RTI Basic PAYE Tools software Change Tax Code screen will only let me update my tax code if I have received a P6 tax code notice, and I have therefore been stuck on 944L since 2013. What am I supposed to do?

Working...
X