• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giant want me to personally indemnify them"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    No one cares about the Conduct Regs. Not even Cable or the BIS.
    Sounds about right

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Indeed. I wonder, if the umbrella side is involved with the agency side, how it all squares with the conduct regs?
    No one cares about the Conduct Regs. Not even Cable or the BIS.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Quite. They have done this for the most obvious reason, to flow the risk downwards past them.
    Indeed. I wonder, if the umbrella side is involved with the agency side, how it all squares with the conduct regs?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    As Giant run an umbrella company and have done for many years I am surprised they would have concerns about unpaid tax and NI and I am pretty sure they have a full understanding of the Onshore Intermediaries legislation
    Quite. They have done this for the most obvious reason, to flow the risk downwards past them.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by 20years View Post
    Hi All,

Just thought I'd post a final update to this story.

GP have agreed to drop the requirement for contractors to personally indemnify them. They stated that the reasons for wanting it in the first place were due to the new onshore intermediary legislation, and to protect themselves against unpaid tax/ni claims from HMRC, even though the HMRC guidance states that this doesnt apply where contractors are shareholders of the ltd company and not employed on a self employed basis. The indemnity itself was far more wide ranging than just protection against hmrc claims.

GP have stated that they intend to introduce this indemnity at some point in the future, but at the moment because no other agencies are trying to do it, they are finding that they're getting too much push back, so for now they are not going to use it.

Anyway - thanks for all the help and advise - especially the links to the PCG guidance for agencies around the onshore intermediary legislation.

My take on it is that they hadnt fully understood the onshore intermediary legislation and the scenarios it applies and doesnt apply, and had reacted in a heavy handed way.

Turned out ok in the end - for now.......

BTW - 9 other contractors had already signed it, not sure how many were refusing, I know of only 1 other.
    As Giant run an umbrella company and have done for many years I am surprised they would have concerns about unpaid tax and NI and I am pretty sure they have a full understanding of the Onshore Intermediaries legislation

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    have one

Indeed.

Right answer in the long run, but if you'd not stood up to them and accepted (I wonder just how many have) then they would have you firmly over a barrel.

I won't be at all surprised to hear others with the same tale you've recounted, as I doubt they've changed their approach.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    have one

Leave a comment:

• 20years
    replied
    Hi All,

Just thought I'd post a final update to this story.

GP have agreed to drop the requirement for contractors to personally indemnify them. They stated that the reasons for wanting it in the first place were due to the new onshore intermediary legislation, and to protect themselves against unpaid tax/ni claims from HMRC, even though the HMRC guidance states that this doesnt apply where contractors are shareholders of the ltd company and not employed on a self employed basis. The indemnity itself was far more wide ranging than just protection against hmrc claims.

GP have stated that they intend to introduce this indemnity at some point in the future, but at the moment because no other agencies are trying to do it, they are finding that they're getting too much push back, so for now they are not going to use it.

Anyway - thanks for all the help and advise - especially the links to the PCG guidance for agencies around the onshore intermediary legislation.

My take on it is that they hadnt fully understood the onshore intermediary legislation and the scenarios it applies and doesnt apply, and had reacted in a heavy handed way.

Turned out ok in the end - for now.......

BTW - 9 other contractors had already signed it, not sure how many were refusing, I know of only 1 other.
    Last edited by 20years; 12 December 2014, 17:19.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I was thinking someone from ARC.
    I would imagine that most of the industry professionals will spend time looking on here even if they don't post

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I was thinking someone from ARC.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Any way of putting this thread under certain noses?
    Given that the OP has confirmed they are a member of IPSE, I am sure this is being taken up as we speak

I know IPSE freeload here from time to time......

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    So, GP wont move on this. So I have had to decline the renewal.

Will see if thats the end of it, or whether now because I've declined that sparks some movement.

If its the end of it , I am thoroughly annoyed, and pretty upset at having to turn down 6 months worth of work that I worked hard to obtain without an agencies involvment. It probably also rules out working for this client again until this is sorted out.
    I think that you've done exactly the right thing. I would decline it as well.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I can't help thinking that there may be some who won't be best chuffed about an umbrella company operating as an agency ARC WELCOMES APSCO UNDERTAKING FOR UMBRELLA MEMBERS
    Any way of putting this thread under certain noses?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I can't help thinking that there may be some who won't be best chuffed about an umbrella company operating as an agency ARC WELCOMES APSCO UNDERTAKING FOR UMBRELLA MEMBERS

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    So, GP wont move on this. So I have had to decline the renewal.

Will see if thats the end of it, or whether now because I've declined that sparks some movement.

If its the end of it , I am thoroughly annoyed, and pretty upset at having to turn down 6 months worth of work that I worked hard to obtain without an agencies involvment. It probably also rules out working for this client again until this is sorted out.
    So to hear you're being dicked. I had a quasi-row with an agency last week who wanted to throw me some ad-hoc work (nothing major, nothing solid) and wanted me to sign a 24 month no compete with ANY of their customers. The result was them not responding to e-mails or calls.

Anyway, he phoned me up today looking to fill a perm position

Leave a comment:

Working...
X