• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New to contracting / short term"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Wouldn't any kind of PAYE arrangement also hit the issue that the OP is still full time employed? No P45 to hand over, tax and NI would be complicated.
    It wouldn't be complicated but it would mean that the OP would pay tax on all their earnings on the second job as their tax free allowance would be used in their permanent employment so they'd be on a BR (20%) or D0 (40%) tax code

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Wouldn't any kind of PAYE arrangement also hit the issue that the OP is still full time employed? No P45 to hand over, tax and NI would be complicated.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by mrpugster View Post
    Hi, just some advice please...

I have a permanent IT job with another company but get a large amount of holiday time, I have just been offered a short term 2 week IT contract and was just wondering what the best route regarding account would be, Umbrella / Sole Trader / Ltd etc. All pretty new to this and would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
    You should check your current contract of employment to see if there is any clause forbidding you to work for anyone else whilst with current company. I am not an employment expert but think this is standard wording - others on here may be able to clarify further.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Equally, there is no reason an agency could/would not send you in as a PAYE temp in the same way that they would provide say, a cleaner or lorry driver. Only downside is that you would pay tax on a BR basis but you already know that anyway.

Obviously, they would expect some of your rate as their cut but again that much is obvious.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Surely for a two week contract no agency or umbrella is involved. Just sort something out with the purchasing dept. I would have thought they would be flexible, can't see why they wouldn't accept you as a sole trader. If not it's probably not worth while setting up a Ltd for that amount of work.

Leave a comment:

• philip@wellwoodhoyle
    replied
    For just two weeks, if they wont't pay you as a sole trader, then your only option is probably to be paid under their paye scheme as an employee on a short/fixed contract.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    TheFaqqer is correct - umbrella companies won't usually take on an employee for very short term or ad-hoc work

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Agencies won't touch a sole trader, it seems pointless starting up a Ltd for a few weeks work a year given the paperwork and cost involved so I'd assume umbrella would be the best option.
    Most umbrellas won't touch you for just two weeks work either.

I'd push for a sole trader arrangement, or find someone who has a limited company who will let you work through them for the two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Agencies won't touch a sole trader, it seems pointless starting up a Ltd for a few weeks work a year given the paperwork and cost involved so I'd assume umbrella would be the best option.
    Yup, I'd agree.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mrpugster
    started a topic New to contracting / short term

New to contracting / short term

Hi, just some advice please...

I have a permanent IT job with another company but get a large amount of holiday time, I have just been offered a short term 2 week IT contract and was just wondering what the best route regarding account would be, Umbrella / Sole Trader / Ltd etc. All pretty new to this and would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Working...
X