• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountant based in Scotland?"

Collapse

• tarbera
    replied
    http://www.grantsca.co.uk/contractors

My accountants for 16 years

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    KJM, that's right. Ken McTaggart? I thought I read that he was associated with Forbes Young. I must be mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    @discostu
    There was a huge rumpus between SJD and the guy who ran the glasgow office. From memory it was resolved in sjd's favour but the guy has since set up his own firm. I believe he is now running the scotland office of a firm run and staffed by ex-sjd guys. I can't remember the names. Forbes something maybe?
    Kjm Scotland they are called.

I've had no problem with them since they separated from SJD.

Their reasoning was they thought the SJD pricing was too high, but what the truth is I don't know.

I stuck with them as it was their staff I'd been dealing with. Think they were basically a franchise trading under the sjd banner.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Bear in mind that it's the individual, not the firm - so Clare did the course at her previous accountancy, but InTouch aren't accredited.
    Kinda, it's the practice that's accredited, not the individual, and at least two people have to attend. Clare didn't take her accreditation with her when she moved to InTouch. However, I checked this with Clare and IPSE at the time, and the fast track option was for the new practice to send just the one accountant or manager to accredit the new practice.

No idea if InTouch have taken this forward of course; in their case it probably doesn't matter too much.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    That'll be the Accredited Accountant scheme, where they teach accountants all about the stuff that specifically impacts contractors, like IR35, S660, MSCs, etc., etc. and put them through an exam at the end. Not to be sniffed at, although it says nothing about their ability as an accountant of course.
    Bear in mind that it's the individual, not the firm - so Clare did the course at her previous accountancy, but InTouch aren't accredited.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Accountsnet in Livingston. They've just opened an office in Manchester and soon to open in London.

I moved from JSA years ago and Accountsnet were recommended on the PCG website and had gone through some sort of contractor friendly tests by PCG.

Only been in the office a couple of times, everything else has been done online through the portal and via email. Good at sending reminders about upcoming deadlines.

If you want to go with them, give me a shout as they pay £50 for recommendations. Costs around £80 a month incl VAT.
    That'll be the Accredited Accountant scheme, where they teach accountants all about the stuff that specifically impacts contractors, like IR35, S660, MSCs, etc., etc. and put them through an exam at the end. Not to be sniffed at, although it says nothing about their ability as an accountant of course.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    @discostu
    There was a huge rumpus between SJD and the guy who ran the glasgow office. From memory it was resolved in sjd's favour but the guy has since set up his own firm. I believe he is now running the scotland office of a firm run and staffed by ex-sjd guys. I can't remember the names. Forbes something maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    I'm based in Falkirk. But I wouldn't want to blow my own trumpet. 😄

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    AW Gray & Butler in Tain. They were doing one/two man Ltd's in the oil industry long before the phrase 'contractor accountant' was first thought of. I've used them 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Accountsnet in Livingston. They've just opened an office in Manchester and soon to open in London.

I moved from JSA years ago and Accountsnet were recommended on the PCG website and had gone through some sort of contractor friendly tests by PCG.

Only been in the office a couple of times, everything else has been done online through the portal and via email. Good at sending reminders about upcoming deadlines.

If you want to go with them, give me a shout as they pay £50 for recommendations. Costs around £80 a month incl VAT.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Weren't there issues with the SJD Scottish offices in the past? Just something at the back of my mind says that there were. Something about it being a franchise maybe, rather than something that Simon was in control of, maybe?
    I think it was a guy who was trading as SJD Scotland and then there was some kind of falling out / commercial dispute. The office locations are on their website so I'm assuming it's all been resolved.

Maybe Lisa could provide some insight next time she's here?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    SJD have offices in Edinburgh and Glasgow if you're looking for someone contractor-specific.
    Weren't there issues with the SJD Scottish offices in the past? Just something at the back of my mind says that there were. Something about it being a franchise maybe, rather than something that Simon was in control of, maybe?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    SJD have offices in Edinburgh and Glasgow if you're looking for someone contractor-specific.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    started a topic Accountant based in Scotland?

Accountant based in Scotland?

Any recs?

Falkirk ideally but Glasgow/Edinburgh/Stirling all fine.

Working...
X