• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 - Guilty as charged! - Updated May 2016 - NOT GUILTY!"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Interesting thread, glad of the outcome for the OP.

In 14 years contracting I've not met a contractor who had been investigated or going through process. Met plenty who would be f**ked up they do though.

If the OP can get those questions up prob worth making this a sticky thread.

qh

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by frodo View Post
    Seems like a lot of effort on their part. They would be better off chasing the low(er) hanging fruit by pursuing those on long, current engagements. That's where I'd put my efforts but then this is HMRC we're talking about.
    Yeah and they probably do hence me saying this is a hypothetical situation.

Leave a comment:

• frodo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    They get hold of your old client and grill them. If they've gone then happy days. Your worst nightmare is them getting hold of someone that vaguely knew you and attempts to answer all the questions which are nowhere near the truth. 'Oh yeah that guy, we treated him like an employee I guess'
    You'd hope at that point though your defence steps in and points this out and cuts them off quick so they've no choice to drop the case.

That said if you are genuinely out and enough boxes are ticked they won't pursue anyway so a bit hypothetical I think.
    Seems like a lot of effort on their part. They would be better off chasing the low(er) hanging fruit by pursuing those on long, current engagements. That's where I'd put my efforts but then this is HMRC we're talking about.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    They get hold of your old client and grill them. If they've gone then happy days. Your worst nightmare is them getting hold of someone that vaguely knew you and attempts to answer all the questions which are nowhere near the truth. 'Oh yeah that guy, we treated him like an employee I guess'
    You'd hope at that point though your defence steps in and points this out and cuts them off quick so they've no choice to drop the case.

That said if you are genuinely out and enough boxes are ticked they won't pursue anyway so a bit hypothetical I think.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 20 May 2016, 14:16.

Leave a comment:

• frodo
    replied
    Checking working practices

Out of interest, if you are a contractor that genuinely falls outside of IR35 and your contract(s) tick all the right boxes, how would HMRC then go about investigating your working practices from an engagement from say 3 years ago if the project you were working on has been delivered and all people associated with the project and therefore able to confirm your working practises have since moved on?

Leave a comment:

• Ketto
    replied
    How many years were they investigating to come up with a possible £100k liability?

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Finding other contractors to investigate

A question for the OP (munchers), apologies I couldn't find your original post on this to quote here:

You had mentioned somewhere in your thread that HMRE had/may have used the investigation into your contract at Client X to then "drill down" to find other contractors at the same client to investigate. Did this happen? (makes logical sense that they would!). Any info of how it went for the other guys?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Really? I thought you remember income tax being introduced?
    Her memory is not so good nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• sociopath
    replied
    When op posts questions raised would it be worth putting as a sticky along with any guidance for future reference to anyone else that finds themselves in that situation

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Some of us aren't as old as you think!
    Really? I thought you remember income tax being introduced?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Me either

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    HMRE HM Customs & Exercise, certainly (from which HMRC originates, together with the Inland Revenue). The Inland Revenue was around for centuries before HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    HMRE HM Customs & Exercise, certainly (from which HMRC originates, together with the Inland Revenue). The Inland Revenue was around for centuries before HMRC.

lol fail

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Agreed... When I read it I just thought it was an older person... Lots of people still call them HMRE.... No big deal

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    Maybe you do. Not everyone does. It could be that they're using the old-fashioned name because that's the one they're more familiar with. Equating with 'troll' seems ridiculous to be honest.
    Agreed... When I read it I just thought it was an older person... Lots of people still call them HMRE.... No big deal

Leave a comment:

Working...
X