• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Rage!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Rage!

My hates whilst driving!

1. Car parking tickets still stuck to the windows, whilst driving.
    2. Front fog lights on when it is not foggy.
    3. Using a mobile phone whilst driving.
    4. Hogging the middle lane on motorways.
    5. Not indicating.
    6. Tail gating, especially by white vans.
    7. Slow Rover drivers.
    8. Throwing litter from the car.

I am sure there are more!
    Car Parking tickets left on windows
    7.53%
    Front fog lights left on when not foggy
    12.90%
    Using mobile phones
    13.98%
    Not indicating
    15.05%
    Dropping Litter
    12.90%
    Slow Rover drivers
    9.68%
    Middle lane hoggers
    13.98%
    Tail gating
    13.98%
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    My hates whilst driving!

1. Car parking tickets still stuck to the windows, whilst driving.
    2. Front fog lights on when it is not foggy.
    3. Using a mobile phone whilst driving.
    4. Hogging the middle lane on motorways.
    5. Not indicating.
    6. Tail gating, especially by white vans.
    7. Slow Rover drivers.
    8. Throwing litter from the car.

I am sure there are more!
    I have done all the above.

Wilmslow.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I have done all the above.

Wilmslow.
      Not something you should be proud of.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Where is the andyw option!

Comment

I've gone for "not indicating". It's a basic requirement of driving but so many people seem to think it's optional. You have to assume that those people consider looking in the mirror to be optional as well, so they change lanes on the motorway using some kind of Jedi force to detect a gap. It's really strange how widespread it is, and also how it seems to be most common in massive saloon cars and SUVs... the types of vehicles whose drivers are most likely to go into a rage about other people's driving.

Comment

What about rear fog lights in rain?

Comment

The school run drivers.

Women in firkin great baby crushing tanks that only ever do 200 miles a year, and most of the time they spend in the car is spent on double-yellow lines or zebra crossing zig-zags, parked up, waiting for the AndyW option to come out of school.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                I've gone for "not indicating".
                I've gone for all of them. Hint: checkboxes instead of radio buttons mean you can select more than one

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  I've gone for "not indicating". It's a basic requirement of driving but so many people seem to think it's optional. You have to assume that those people consider looking in the mirror to be optional as well, so they change lanes on the motorway using some kind of Jedi force to detect a gap. It's really strange how widespread it is, and also how it seems to be most common in massive saloon cars and SUVs... the types of vehicles whose drivers are most likely to go into a rage about other people's driving.
                  Don't disagree but...

Years ago back in about '77 Roadcraft used to describe indicating as optional in certain circumstances - though I doubt they do now. The analysis was that you should make a consious decision of whether or not you needed to indicate - i.e who you were indicating to. If you did decide that indication was required then whatever you were intending could be potentially unsafe - i.e. you might be placing some reliance of those you are indicating to having to take some action as part of your manouvere. If you are relying on people taking specific action then the manouvere is potentially inherently dangerous or inconsiderate and perhaps should be recontemplated.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    Don't disagree but...

Years ago back in about '77 Roadcraft used to describe indicating as optional in certain circumstances - though I doubt they do now. The analysis was that you should make a consious decision of whether or not you needed to indicate - i.e who you were indicating to. If you did decide that indication was required then whatever you were intending could be potentially unsafe - i.e. you might be placing some reliance of those you are indicating to having to take some action as part of your manouvere. If you are relying on people taking specific action then the manouvere is potentially inherently dangerous or inconsiderate and perhaps should be recontemplated.
                    It probably is still in roadcraft... i'll check when i get back home
                    The thing about indicating is that it should come after you have already checked your surroundings... i.e. Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre.
                    If, after checking the who else is around you a signal isn't needed Either because
                    there is no one to signal to
                    or there would be absolutely no action needed on their part
                    or the signal may be confusing
                    or the signal would be wasted

Then don't signal

A good example is when overtaking a lorry on the motorway. Whilst in lane 1, checking mirrors shows some cars approaching from the rear but still a little distance off. So you indicate then pull into lane 2. After you've passed the lorry, the other cars are still a comfortable distance away and unlikely to be contemplating a move into lane 3 to pass you, Lane 1 is clear and you're easily outpacing the truck so a signal indicating your desire to pull back in to lane 1 would be wasted.
                    What is important is that you've checked the surroundings and thought about the importance of the signal in that circumstance and then made a conscious decision that a signal isn't necessary.

Just as bad as the drivers who never signal are those who signal when its far too late i.e. they're either already turning/changing lanes or about 2 nano seconds before they turn.
                    You should signal in enough time to give other drivers enough time to see the signal and adjust their driving accordingly, like slowing down so you can make the left turn without having them right up your chuff.
                    And braking is part of the manoeuvre so make sure the indicators are on before you start to slow down!
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X