• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    turn over to ITV and you can watch the football

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      BBC1. It's about her ancestors... some of whom were very naughty...
      Such as her dad, who was "familiar" with the Krays and the Richardsons...

Turned out that her great^nth grandfather was a repected parson, whose daughter married a repectable goldbeater who subsequently fell on hard times... as did their children.

Victorian values, see...

Comment

This pc seems to be generating crosslinked files for some reason.

It's never been the most reliable of machines, spending more time tits up than one might expect.

It was running like a dawg 2 hours ago, so I've spent the intervening time scandisking and disk cleanuping and defragmenting.

Then the X linked files reared their ugly heads.

Comment

Anyway... time for bed said Zebedee... feck off said Florence.

Byeeee

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            This pc seems to be generating crosslinked files for some reason.

It's never been the most reliable of machines, spending more time tits up than one might expect.

It was running like a dawg 2 hours ago, so I've spent the intervening time scandisking and disk cleanuping and defragmenting.

Then the X linked files reared their ugly heads.
            I'm sorry - I know that what I'm going to say is not a helpful comment, but I'll say it before anybody else does.

Then you can despise me, not them. I am willing to sacrifice myself on this particular pyre.

Are you ready?

OK, here goes...

Get a Mac.

There. I said it.

I'm sorry, but it's the truth, and my mother told me to always tell the truth

Comment

Back in 2000 I'd bought a new motherboard and an AMD K6-2 (was it?) processor - 500MHz, or something glitzy like that. New hard drive as well.

This was when I'd just moved to Cheltenham, and the strange yet beautiful woman for whom I had moved didn't have a phone line in her flat, and I hadn't yet had one installed.

Having carefully built my new PC I installed Windows 95 on it but it wouldn't boot. Rebooting in the "spew stuff onto the console so I can see where you fail" mode, it was apparent that a certain DLL was failing during the boot sequence.

So I trogged off to the Internet Café above the second-hand bookshop in the next street.

Bingo! A Microsoft Knowledge Base article about Win95 failing on such processors running above 350 MHz, but there was a patch available, which one could run from a floppy.

Having eagerly downloaded said patch, I scampered back to the flat, booted into DOS, and then attempted to run the patching application.

It said "This application will only run under Windows".

Given that "this application" was a patch for a fault that prevented Windows from booting, I found this less than helpful

In fact, I did this:

I then extracted the motherboard from the machine, reset the jumpers on the motherboard to clock the processor at 256 MHz, put it back in and connected everything, booted successfully into Win95, ran the patch from there, took the motherboard out again, switched the jumpers back to get the processor running at its intended speed, put the motherboard back in the machine, reconnected everything again, and it finally worked.

It was only once it was all working that I looked at the patch application that would "only run under Windows".

It copied two DLL files over flawed versions thereof - a task that could be done with MS-DOS 2.0 in the early Eighties (not 1.0, as that didn't support hierarchical directories).

This was the precise moment that I knew - knew, with absolute certainty - that, whatever they may have done for the microcomputer industry in the late Seventies and early-to-mid Eighties, I now hated Microsoft with an absolute vengeance. For that is the moment that I knew, without any shadow of a doubt, that whatever they may once have been, they were now a purveyor of shoddy goods, staffed by incompetent fools.

Any company that provides a fix for the "Our product won't run" problem yet requires the product to be running for the fix to work has lost sight of something important. In this case, the bleeding obvious.

Comment

Ooh, I'm at 1,997 non-LR posts

That means I get whatever title it is for 2,000 soon

Of course, I already got it last year, before the infamous LR-post-count-removal, but I can't remember what it is now.

Don't spoil the surprise by reminding me...

Comment

Good morning all!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Good morning all!
                    Good morning young sir

Morning all
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Well, I'm off to lay some patio slabs.

Later
                      Confusion is a natural state of being