• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    I loved the first series (though in my defence I was quite young and innocent) but I always like the other two - Jaclyn Smith and Kate Jackson. I think Farrah Fawcett only got the job because she married Lee Majors who was big at that time playing a major role as a very expensive cyborg.
    (No, I'm not a walking encyclopaedia of entertainment trivia, I get all my info from the Internet Movie Database - the definitive guide IMO).
    I agree but she was pretty cool all the same - I love all that ol' tulipe... Charlies Angels, Dallas, the Love Boat... Thank God for Irish Day time telly

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    CM - how was your date last night?
    It was really very nice.... We are going out again on Saturday night.... and I am staying at his house...
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Right, that's me finished for today ( posting that is ) and work.

Have a good evening and I'll see you all bright and early(ish) tomorrow.
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Bye Kathy
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

No post for over 1/2 an hour
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              Wasn't DS23 due back around 100k?
              Indeed he was.

I'm that he hasn't returned.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                Webby I demand you end this madness, its wasting bandwith.
                the most popular thread on CUK which must be earning lots of money from page impressions and adverts
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Are you addressing me?

I wondered how long it would be before somebody would pop up and demonstrate their complete lack of understanding of how the web works

To start with: the spider isn't running at the moment, so it isn't using any bandwidth anyway.

When it was running "intensively" (which it wasn't really) it was over a Bank Holiday weekend (deliberately) when few people were viewing the site. To be honest, I could run it at the busiest time and it would make no difference.

When it's running it only requests the HTML, which is around 16K for an average page - all the additional bandwidth used by web browsers, downloading images, CSS and scripts, isn't necessary. This saves around 49 HTTP request per page over the amount your browser makes (this varies depending on the number of smilies on the page, and whether you have avatars turned on).

This amounts to about 190K a page that it doesn't request, which probably drops to around 12K if your browser has effective caching - although each of the 49 request is still made, only to get a "not-modified" response, and it's HTTP requests that slow down a server, not serving data.

When you made your post, around 100K of extra scripts and CSS were loaded by your browser, and 138K of traffic for the smiley gallery. Therefore, your post was the equivalent of around 16 pages worth of indexing. And another four or five for reading the page you were replying to. And for every page you read. And every post you make.

If there was the slightest possibility that my spider would have a harmful effect on the site I have no doubt the administrators would have been on to me to ask me to stop. (If there were the possibility, I wouldn't have written it in the first place.) I daresay they also realise that 16K here and there, in a single HTTP request/response cycle, is so unutterably trivial to a web server that it's not worth bothering about.

Google probably uses more of this site's bandwidth each day than I would consume in a week, as it looks at everything, and revisits everything, not just looking for the last page on one thread.

Now go back to your database, and leave us "webbys" to build the future for you
                  Nick, you have been warned about this kind of thing before.

Please refrain from posting interesting, technical, useful information here!!!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    Oh god!
                    tpd has turned into The Fawcett Society
                    I'm orf
                    Que?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Nick, you have been warned about this kind of thing before.

Please refrain from posting interesting, technical, useful information here!!!
                      Sorry

Aspect ratio constraints do my head in...

Comment

Working...
                      X