• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Followed closely by BSOD generated in GetRight...

I could feel it building up...
    So since then it's been reboot & scandisk time again...

And I managed to update Kaspersky without needing to repair it...

Magic.

Comment

The problem parsing page 3355 turns out to be quite an interesting one. My results were obtained by examining hex dumps of the HTTP response, and of a served copy of the editor page with the relevant post quoted in it

It starts with a post by FiveTimes which contains &# 8212; which is a correct form of an em dash entity, valid in both HTML and XML.

When his post sits in the post editor, it again has the em dash as an entity, but the rich text editor naturally interprets it as an entity reference, and so displays the actual character - or, in this case, substitutes it with another dash character, in my case character hex 97 from the Latin 1 Supplement character set.

On the page with the parsing error, Bear has quoted the same page... but strangely, his browser has replaced it with character hex 1a, which is the ASCII SUB (substitute) control character.

As this is outside the range of permitted characters in XML, it causes a parsing error.

Interestingly, the other pages with parsing errors all quote a specific post which contains an apostrophe... I reckon something similar is going on there.

<scampers off to check...>

Indeed... the apostrophe in JogOn's post is character 92, which strictly speaking is a closing single quote, not an apostrophe... but again, when Bear quotes it, it turns into character 1a.

It's all good clean fun

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        This is getting dangerously too close to 100,000....
        I am amazed you can count that high...

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          I think I may have upset him! do you think?

He went offline
          you horrid meanie...

Comment

Aha... other people quote the same posts without a problem... so it's specifically Bear's browser which is putting that nonsense control character in there

Comment

Was it you who got last years last post?
              it wasn't you.

Comment

+ = ?
                rats - try again...
                Last edited by BrilloPad; 22 March 2008, 19:56.

Comment

+ = ?
                  ?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    ?
                    -
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      The problem parsing page 3355 turns out to be quite an interesting one. My results were obtained by examining hex dumps of the HTTP response, and of a served copy of the editor page with the relevant post quoted in it

It starts with a post by FiveTimes which contains &# 8212; which is a correct form of an em dash entity, valid in both HTML and XML.

When his post sits in the post editor, it again has the em dash as an entity, but the rich text editor naturally interprets it as an entity reference, and so displays the actual character - or, in this case, substitutes it with another dash character, in my case character hex 97 from the Latin 1 Supplement character set.

On the page with the parsing error, Bear has quoted the same page... but strangely, his browser has replaced it with character hex 1a, which is the ASCII SUB (substitute) control character.

As this is outside the range of permitted characters in XML, it causes a parsing error.

Interestingly, the other pages with parsing errors all quote a specific post which contains an apostrophe... I reckon something similar is going on there.

<scampers off to check...>

Indeed... the apostrophe in JogOn's post is character 92, which strictly speaking is a closing single quote, not an apostrophe... but again, when Bear quotes it, it turns into character 1a.

It's all good clean fun
                      So I should not post ' then as it causes your spider to crash?

opps - sorry...

Comment

Working...
                      X