• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bit more leo and we'll be there
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

she cannae take it captain!

Comment

eonardo, the "Legend"

Within Leonardo's own lifetime his fame was such that the King of France carried him away like a trophy, and was claimed to have supported him in his old age and held him in his arms as he died.[29] Vasari, in his "Lives of the Artists" written about thirty years after Leonardo's death, described him as having talents that "transcended nature".

The interest in Leonardo has never slackened. The crowds still queue to see his most famous artworks, T-shirts bear his most famous drawing and writers, like Vasari, continue to marvel at his genius and speculate about his private life and, particularly, about what one so intelligent actually believed in.

Vasari's "Lives"
        Leonardo da Vinci tomb in Saint Hubert Chapel (Amboise).
        Leonardo da Vinci tomb in Saint Hubert Chapel (Amboise).

Giorgio Vasari, in his "Lives of the Artists", in its enlarged edition of 1568 introduces his chapter on Leonardo da Vinci with the following words:
        “ "In the normal course of events many men and women are born with remarkable talents; but occasionally, in a way that transcends nature, a single person is marvellously endowed by Heaven with beauty, grace and talent in such abundance that he leaves other men far behind, all his actions seem inspired and indeed everything he does clearly comes from God rather than from human skill. Everyone acknowledged that this was true of Leonardo da Vinci, an artist of outstanding physical beauty, who displayed infinite grace in everything that he did and who cultivated his genius so brilliantly that all problems he studied he solved with ease." ”

On Leonardo's genius

The continued admiration that Leonardo commanded from painters, critics and historians can be appreciated from the following quotations.

Boltraffio c.1520
        “ The man Leonardo

alone above all others

surpasser of Phidias

conqueror of Apelles

and over every one

of their victorious followers!

See Boltraffio,[30] Vasari,[8] Phidias, Apelles[31]

Castiglione, 1528

"...Another of the greatest painters in this world looks down on this art in which he is unequalled..."[32]

"Anonimo Gaddiano" c. 1540

"His genius was so rare and universal that it can be said that nature worked a miracle on his behalf..."[33]

H. Fuseli, 1801

"Such was the dawn of modern art, when Leonardo da Vinci broke forth with a splendour that distanced former excellence: made up of all the elements that constitute the essence of genius..."[34]

Leonardo da Vinci statue outside the Uffizi, Florence
        Leonardo da Vinci statue outside the Uffizi, Florence

A. E. Rio, 1861

"He towered above all other artists through the strength and the nobility of his talents."[35]

H. Taine, 1866

"There may not be in the world an example of another genius so universal, so incapable of fulfilment, so full of yearning for the infinite, so naturally refined, so far ahead of his own century and the following centuries."[36]

Berenson, 1896

"Leonardo is the one artist of whom it may be said with perfect literalness: Nothing that he touched but turned into a thing of eternal beauty. Whether it be the cross section of a skull, the structure of a weed, or a study of muscles, he, with his feeling for line and for light and shade, forever transmuted it into life-communicating values."[37]

Liana Bortolon, 1967

"Because of the multiplicity of interests that spurred him to pursue every field of knowledge,...Leonardo can be considered, quite rightly, to have been the universal genius par excellence, and with all the disquieting overtones inherent in that term. Man is as uncomfortable today, faced with a genius, as he was in the 16th century. Five centuries have passed , yet we still view Leonardo with awe."[7]
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

drum roll....
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Chaaaarge!

Comment

so close
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

it's too much!

Comment

who will get it?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Will bufoons simulation reboot?

Will we all vanish?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X