• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

There's something that makes the 8086 look well designed?

with a

or three thrown in for good measure

One of these days, I'm going to trigger a "hasLayout" bug in Internet Explorer and trace it through the disassembly in the debugger to work out exactly how and why the IE rendering code is so badly broken... but the idea of working with this thing you describe...

At least with the 6502 one could understand why the JMP (indirect) bug came about... and it was only one chap's fault, so one could find forgiveness in one's heart.

(That JMP (indirect) bug caught me out on the BBC Micro when I was writing my first serious sprite animation routine - I'd switched into that "" mode and was just watching the assembler's listing scroll by when I noticed that the one-and-only JMP (indirect) appeared very, very close to a processor page boundary - I changed the BBC BASIC Assembler flags to page the output rather than scrolling at full speed, and thereby discovered why it only worked when I added code that was intended to trace the bug - that debug code moved the JMP (indirect) away from the processor's memory page boundary, and it thus worked correctly when I tried to debug it, but not otherwise )

BTW, did any of you know that the source code for the one-and-only-original BBC Micro-based version of Elite is available for free download? I keep meaning to read it
    Don't leave us hanging BI!
    This is worse than a Christie novel. Ok, we know the culprit, we know the scene of the crime. What about motive.
    Why did the foul deed occur, or are we destined never to know?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

and No, I am not downloading BBC Elite just to help quell this niggling curiosity bug you have infected me with

Comment

Morning all!
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Morning, Diver.

Roof still on the new house?

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          and No, I am not downloading BBC Elite just to help quell this niggling curiosity bug you have infected me with
          That's funny. I've had this tab open in Firefox for a couple of weeks now.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

My new garden was a bit of a mess after moving in this week.
            The back of my tipper truck, and the trailer were full of packaging from the move.
            They are now empty, all the rubbish has blown out and is spread around the garden, and piled in drifts against the row of trees at the side of the front garden

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              Morning, Diver.

Roof still on the new house?

That's funny. I've had this tab open in Firefox for a couple of weeks now.
              Ooh!

You're doing it again! Aren't you

No! I am too busy to mess about with non essentials.

Maybe later

Comment

... all the rubbish has blown out and is spread around the garden ...
                That's given your new neighbours a luvverly impression!

Comment

You're doing it again! Aren't you
                  That was NF referring to BBC Elite.

Did you know you can download a Speccy Emulator and play the Spectrum version? (my preferred version).

I spent a couple of months playing the more recent adaptations a couple of years back.

That damned Elite can still take over your life.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    That's given your new neighbours a luvverly impression!
                    I've already impressed them no end, with the arterial spray and the resultant screaming foul language.

Comment

TPDVille

Population

Unemployment
                      1 %
                      Transport
                      99 %
                      Criminality
                      3 %
                      Pollution
                      3 %

Comment

Working...
                      X