• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a real day with the PICs...

I'm getting to hate PICs... and their evil & unpleasant architechture...

Someone is using a PIC18F4580, which is CAN enabled.

In addition to the usual hideosities, it actually has 3 parts to the Program Counter.

The low byte, and upper byte and an upper upper nibbley thing.

You can directly address the low byte.

The upper byte is addressed indirectly through PCLAT, and the upper nibbley thing is addressed indirectly through yet another kludge register.

What a piece of crap.

It makes the 8086 look well designed....

Comment

The guy who's working with it was having all sorts of difficulties... some of which were self generated...

Like not initialising port A correctly, which caused a lot of head scratching... until I printed out the datasheet & spotted one of those little box of code things that microchip include so voluminously... coz otherwise you'd never get the fecking thing to work ever...

Comment

The hotel had no hot water this morning.

Breakfast was so slow, I left the dining room before it appeared.

I went to a meeting with a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and a Director of a government agency looking and feeling like I had slept on someone's sofa.

It took 3 hours to drive there.

The meeting finished mid-afternoon and all I had had since 9pm last night was 2 paracetamol and one cup of coffee.

And then I think of the hourly rate. Who'd be a permie? And then we had a 7 hour drive home.

What a day.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Having setup port A in the approved fashion, it now did odd things... after 32 key presses it stopped looking at the keys...

Turned out that his code was eating stack... which is 32 words long...

And some of his variables were actually overwriting some registers.

Once he'd fixed that it was working reasonably.

How reasonably we will discover next Wednesday.

Comment

The other lot were pratting about with code for a traffic lights demo... using the PIC16F84...

Oddly, they all had code that I'd seen before... and it still had all the bugs in it...

Had one in tears by the end... deep joy...

They're back on Monday... to my everlasting joy.

One had the cheek to ask if I was working tomorrow...

For my current rate of pay, you must be fecking joking darlin'... <cue tears>...

Comment

What is rather worrying is a little word: plagiarism... they don't seem to realise that if everyone gives in essentially the same program, then that's what it is... and it's very serious too...

I shall have to mention this on Monday, I think... before it gets out of hand.

Unfortunately I doubt that the message will sink in... or that it's easier to write your own code than try to understand something cobbled together by someone else.

Comment

The time has come to cuddle the cat, so

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  The time has come to cuddle the cat, so

Give the cat a stroke from me.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

And I'm not going to wait any longer to see who gets this palinilap...

Cheers, zeity!
                    Last edited by BrowneIssue; 29 February 2008, 23:30.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Just drink a pint of salted water and you will live...

Well done!

Comment

Working...
                      X