• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    When I implemented Forth (or FORTH if you insist) on the Atari ST I wrote the nucleus in assembler, including defining the word headers complete with link field and code field. Once I'd got that written I could then write the rest of the system and development environment in Forth itself. Then I implemented a Forth assembler (Reverse Polish 68000 assembly language FTW!) and rewrote the original assembler source in RP... and then it could assemble itself

From that point on I could implement Forth anywhere else by first writing an assembler for the target processor, re-implementing a very small number of low-level words, and compiling a target image which I could then send to the target (via RS-232, naturally) and lo! it worked

Given that my implementation strategy was the same as that used by Chuck Moore (who invented the language), the nucleus actually included the OS - the only existing code it used was the firmware BIOS of whatever system it might be on. Other than that it did all its own disc handling and so on.

IIRC the ST nucleus - the absolute bare minimum of code to enable everything else to happen - came out to about 14K, although with the development environment loaded (including an editor and a debugger) it rose to the dizzy heights of about 22K
    tut tut tut how many posts could you have made out of that?

Comment

it is nearly beer time.

Comment

When I implemented Forth...
        Printed off and filed in my archive, thank you.

I shall be boring 20-somethings with that story - amongst many, many others - for the rest of my life, I hope.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

is there anything worth watching on the goggle box tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            6 months.
            oh dear. what requirements: job title? location?

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              My intention was to show just how easy this is and to show just how clever I am by being able to install and configure Linux for the first time and get it done before lunch.

Dream on...
              But they promised me! They said it was easy!

And worst of all, they made out there would be something wrong with me if it didn't work first time.

And of all the kinds of people in IT, the ones I really, really hate are those that patronise users. They damage the entire industry by thinking they are clever - when they are not.

I shall likely be having words with some committee members of the X-----X Linux X-----X group at their next meeting... laugh at me would you...?
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Cheers BI
                Funny you should say that: I've got a beer in front of me. On a Friday night too. That can't be right.

It should be INSIDE me.

Cheers to you too! Have a beer!
                Last edited by BrowneIssue; 11 January 2008, 19:24. Reason: Tipsy trypo

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Looks more like an owl to me...

BI
                  got
                  a
                  Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                    it is nearly beer time.
                    Nearly? You're missing out, Squire.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      to you too zg!

Comment

Working...
                      X