• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I'm too busy to post...
    but you just did!

<watches CM disappear in a puff of logic>

Comment

<pantomime cry> oh no you're not

Comment

I was right about leaving for lunch before the rain started - it started when I was five steps out of the door

Still, I have now been able to ascertain that the process of walking to Fuzzy's Grub via Pall Mall, getting said grub, buying The Grauniad from the ever-so-friendly Cockney newspaper vendor lady at the top of Crown Passage, and walking back via St James Square takes me 25 minutes
        Last edited by NickFitz; 10 January 2008, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          what is exciting about 65536 mr knockers?
          It's 2^2^2^2.

It is the number of numbers you can hold in two bytes.

It is a nibble, squared.

It is one of those numbers programmers memorise very early on.

It ends up taking on a special significance. It stands out in account numbers, telephone numbers and so on.

At some point in a programmer's career, a program does not get to 65536 and causes no end of confusion.

10000 in hex.
          20000 in octal.
          10000000000000000 in binary.

One more than the biggest number you can hold in an unsigned, 2 byte-long register.

It also has one or two interesting properties for mathematicians but I forget them now.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I was right about leaving for lunch before the rain started - it started when I was five steps out of the door

Still, I have now been able to ascertain that the process of walking to Fuzzy's Grub via Pall Mall, getting said grub, buying The Grauniad from the ever-so-friendly noddyney newspaper vendor lady at the top of Crown Passage, and walking back via St James Square takes me 25 minutes
            I knew you'd cave in eventually - what did you get?
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              power(2, 32) +1?

That had me scuttling off to check my sanity, then my facts.

You rotter!
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                can't talk...eating...
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  It's 2^2^2^2.

It is the number of numbers you can hold in two bytes.

It is a nibble, squared.

It is one of those numbers programmers memorise very early on.

It ends up taking on a special significance. It stands out in account numbers, telephone numbers and so on.

At some point in a programmer's career, a program does not get to 65536 and causes no end of confusion.

10000 in hex.
                  20000 in octal.
                  10000000000000000 in binary.

One more than the biggest number you can hold in an unsigned, 2 byte-long register.

It also has one or two interesting properties for mathematicians but I forget them now.
                  you want it then sir? do you? do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    Sausage and Bacon sandwich (white farmhouse bread).

<takes bite>

Mmmmmmmmm..............

It's not often one finds either bread, sausages or bacon of such fine quality - to get all three together, doorstep-sized, for a mere £3.25 is amazing

I had roast lamb with mint sauce and gravy in a large white bap the other day - haven't yet been hungry enough to go the whole way with roast spuds mixed in as well

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      can we have a rule that says no tantrums?
                      No. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!
                      That would be SO wrong!

Comment

Working...
                      X