• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been to see Ed Byrne in Sheffield, now sat in the Chinese waiting for a takeaway.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Sun attempting to show its face here. So I suppose I shouldn't sit around in my nightie drinking tea till gone noon...

Comment

afternoon all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Oh FFS.

I just installed a Python library for working with Project Gutenberg metadata. It took ages to get it installed, as it has a dependency on Berkely DB, and since version 6 that's had some weird licence that open source types don't like - seriously, the package manager stopped and said it didn't want to install it for legal reasons, and it was just trying to protect me.

I found the magic incantation that made it do what I sodding well told it, and got everything installed. Naturally, I then wanted to try it. Glancing through the documentation, there was an example of how to do a query:

Code:
          print(get_metadata('author', 2701)) # prints frozenset([u'Melville, Hermann'])
          So I typed that in at a Python prompt, which proceeded to just sit there, apparently thinking to itself

Looking back at the documentation to make sure I'd got it right, I then saw this below the example (my highlighting):

So now it's just sitting there until sometime tomorrow

I'm going to get dinner and watch TV rather than all this trying to make useful things

That'll teech ya.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Sun attempting to show its face here. So I suppose I shouldn't sit around in my nightie drinking tea till gone noon...
            What should you be drinking then?

Aren't you supposed to be out training?

Comment

I should add that I've already downloaded all the Project Gutenberg metadata: it's a 38MB bzipped file, which when expanded provides an RDF file for every text in the project.

But there's no way to get the library to use it that I can see, so now it seems to be downloading them all individually instead. There are about 50,000 of them; around 716MB

Comment

Ah! His 18 hours must have been on a slow connection, and a machine less mighty than my iMac; for it has finished!

Well, it's stopped, at any rate.
                Not necessarily the same thing.

Comment

It's tipping down out there, and will continue to do so for the entire evening, if the forecast is to be believed
                  ZenChuryOm(tm).

Believe it.

And the forecast for Monday is dire for S. Wales.

Comment

Well it looks very much as if the ZeitWashingMachne(Leaky Version) really is on its last legs.

And the ZeitBadBack(tm) is truly fecking awful today.

It started badly & it hasn't improved much over the cleaning frenzy.

Comment

There we are, another roast lamb Sunday lunch consumed.

Somehow I seem to have over cooked the sprouts a bit, but they were edible.

Followed by stewed apple & custard since I seem to be bored with the rice pudding approach.

Time to do the dishes & feck off out to do some shopping.

Comment

Working...
                      X