• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    According to my tracker, I've only done 764km on my bike this year.

Lowest year since I started cycling.

Probably accounts for the extra stone...
    Blimey, that's less than 500 miles. I used to aim for a minimum 2000 miles a year.

Comment

Blimey, that's less than 500 miles. I used to aim for a minimum 2000 miles a year.
      477.5 miles to be precise. I could get up to 500 before year end if I put some effort in, but I probably won't bother

Comment

I thought it was 2000 glasses of wine per year?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I knew the pizza place was over the road! You have to start easy! I thought the pub was about 100 metres though....

Will you post a picture of yourself in lycra?

Nothing to do with the wine? Life appears to have gone to hell? I can empathize alot with that. Tons of poo descended on me recently - including the kitchen ceiling collapsing.

One day I will stop feeling sorry for myself and go and do a decent cycle. But I want to whine and bitch some more first.

If you put together a crew for L2B I will join in.....

Wine has been a constant in my life for the last 20 years, so don't think it's that.

It has been a shit:ty year, but actually better than the preceding few years in many ways. If ms#3 keeps on the straight and narrow, then perhaps 2016 will be a good year. Cautiously hopeful, but not complacent.

Comment

I knew the pizza place was over the road! You have to start easy! I thought the pub was about 100 metres though....

Will you post a picture of yourself in lycra?
            The pub I go to is about a mile away. There's a pub a few doors down from me, but it's not the kind of place a gentleman would want to frequent

Though maybe it's changed these days - it used to be popular with the BNP types and their ilk, but recently there was some event being advertised on the chalkboard out the front in Polish.

Lycra is definitely not on the agenda

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              The pub I go to is about a mile away. There's a pub a few doors down from me, but it's not the kind of place a gentleman would want to frequent

Though maybe it's changed these days - it used to be popular with the BNP types and their ilk, but recently there was some event being advertised on the chalkboard out the front in Polish.

Lycra is definitely not on the agenda
              We had a few of those in SE London. Every Saturday night the police copters would be overhead keeping everyone awake for miles around. Luckily they were turned into fast food places. Its not often fast food places are welcome.

I hope this is nowhere near you - 'Massive' factory fire breaks out in Leicester - BBC News

Comment

We had a few of those in SE London. Every Saturday night the police copters would be overhead keeping everyone awake for miles around. Luckily they were turned into fast food places. Its not often fast food places are welcome.

I hope this is nowhere near you - 'Massive' factory fire breaks out in Leicester - BBC News
                That's almost diametrically opposite me across the city centre - if I'd been out during the day and looked up the road I would have seen the smoke, as it's just next to the Fosse Way so it's a straight line from here. I used to live over that side of town and walked past that factory all the time.

Seeing that story earlier got me thinking. When I lived over that side, about twenty years ago, there were still a lot of the traditional industries operating over there: further up Ross Walk the British United Shoe Machinery Company was still operating 24 hours a day (except at weekends), and if I chose to walk up the canal towpath instead, there was a hosiery factory just across the canal from there that also operated a 24 hour shift pattern; and there were various other companies in the shoe, hosiery, or light engineering fields all active around that area. Now all those companies are gone, and most of the factories have been demolished for redevelopment into small business parks and Barratt starter homes. I daresay that'll happen there as well after this fire.

Tempora mutantur, and all that

Comment

And it's only within the last few years that the light engineering business with the finest name ever vanished: The Premier Screw and Repetition Company

Comment

I really enjoyed my bike ride today. I found myself smiling to be back on the bike. It felt right.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I daresay that'll happen there as well after this fire.
                      I believe the police are interviewing a Mr Barratt and a Mr Wimpey now.

Even Lord Sugar says that these days business is a hobby. You make money from property.

The only salvation is that nice Mr Corbyn chap. I just hope he carries on engaging with the young electorate who don't seem to bother voting. And actually get them to the polling booth!

Maybe my plan B should be an app that lets people vote in national elections! That would get the young people voting! Or would they be too busy playing candy crush?

Comment

Working...
                      X