• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, today I took two office chairs that were surplus to requirements to the tip. One of them had been in the spot where it was put down when I moved in ever since - over eleven years. It had not been sat on once in that time.

Then I went for a haircut. It was the woman who does a decent job but prattles continuously. Apparently the woman who does a decent job quietly is on holiday. I don't know what the situation is with the woman who always seems to mess it up slightly.

And then I went shopping, mostly for bits I forgot to get on Monday - including a small brick of beef dripping

Comment

I also filled the car up. When I went to pay I decided to use my credit card, for no other reason than that I stick a couple of things on there most months just to keep it ticking over.

The transaction failed, and I was brusquely informed that the card had been declined.

This was somewhat concerning, as so far this month I've had one transaction for a tenner, so there should have been plenty of leeway on it. I paid with my bank card and headed home, where I checked my credit card account online.

And lo! the petrol transaction appeared on there with the word "Approved" next to it

Twice.

So I then had to spend ages on hold to the credit card company's call centre, where they eventually decided that the most likely thing, given that I had the Sainsbury's receipt saying that the transaction was declined, was that a corrective transaction would appear within a few days and things would be back to normal. Otherwise I can either go down to Sainsbury's and try to argue the toss with them, or raise a dispute with the credit card company.

We shall see…

Comment

Pork chops for dinner

I did think about just having one chop, but I'm off to the seaside tomorrow for a conference on Friday and I always end up just grabbing snacks here and there on such occasions, so I figured I might as well have a huge dinner in advance to tide me over

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I also filled the car up. When I went to pay I decided to use my credit card, for no other reason than that I stick a couple of things on there most months just to keep it ticking over.

The transaction failed, and I was brusquely informed that the card had been declined.

This was somewhat concerning, as so far this month I've had one transaction for a tenner, so there should have been plenty of leeway on it. I paid with my bank card and headed home, where I checked my credit card account online.

And lo! the petrol transaction appeared on there with the word "Approved" next to it

Twice.

So I then had to spend ages on hold to the credit card company's call centre, where they eventually decided that the most likely thing, given that I had the Sainsbury's receipt saying that the transaction was declined, was that a corrective transaction would appear within a few days and things would be back to normal. Otherwise I can either go down to Sainsbury's and try to argue the toss with them, or raise a dispute with the credit card company.

We shall see…
            I had same at CHester zoo. Bought a toy for £10. DEclined first time - then charged twice. Credit card company just refunded one - very annoying that they have not just taken your word for it.

In 1985 I paid £8 for petrol. Came through as £18 on statement. Luckily I had the original card (remember that machine you put your card into and it pushed CC details into carbon paper?). Attendant had changed eight to eighteen and pocketed a tenner!

In better news, in 1988 I went to a cash machine. Abbey National(Santender?) in queen street. Went for £100. Took ages. I thought "here we go. it will timeout. statement will say £100 out and £100 back as usual". But after a minute cash came out. statement said £100 out and £100 back so I was £100 up!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              In better news, in 1988 I went to a cash machine. Abbey National(Santender?) in queen street. Went for £100. Took ages. I thought "here we go. it will timeout. statement will say £100 out and £100 back as usual". But after a minute cash came out. statement said £100 out and £100 back so I was £100 up!
              You could buy a house for that in those days!

Comment

Morning all.

Had to larf at the cleaner dusting the (artificial) plants in the lobby, ready for the Open Day on Saturday.

After the words I had with the officious prick on the train this morning, it was a bit of a relief.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

And then I went shopping, mostly for bits I forgot to get on Monday - including a small brick of beef dripping
                  This is, now, according to the wireless, the New Healthy Eating.

Is that ready made dripping or sommat you have to stick in the oven, make a horrendous smell, and render?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Possibly two.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      And you could leave your doors open. The fact that no-one had anything worth stealing is immaterial.

Comment

Working...
                      X