• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Ah! Command-L shows the install logs. Turns out it's moved a bunch of Unixy stuff I had installed in /usr/local out of the way, as otherwise it would have got clobbered, and now it's moving it all back. Normal people wouldn't have stuff like that, hence the over-optimistic time estimate

Still, with older versions I've ended up having to reinstall all that stuff manually, which would take me longer. On the other hand, some of the binary stuff will probably need recompiling anyway, so it's a mixed blessing

But seeing the log scrolling merrily is better than watching a progress bar sit at 99% for hours
    Didnt you have problems with stuff last time you did an update?
    Join IPSE

Comment

A while back I bought a min-display port / VGA adapter for MBP, which nicely extends the desktop. However I now want to run 2 monitors as well as the laptop.

Has anyone tried the USB -> VGA/DVI on MBP ?

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        I've reached the conclusion that one should never update anything.

Updating windoze 7 is a grade a pain in the arse.

Especially if you've got a lab full of the damn things.

And the eyetea dept are rabidly keen on pushing the feckers down.

Anyway, what was wrong with 3.11?

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
          Yes, it wasn't so forgiving of stuff having been installed to the Unixy areas of the file system - IIRC it overwrote things like MySQL, because I'd compiled them myself rather than using OS X install packages. Looks like they're being more considerate this time, even if it involves moving it all to one side then moving it back again

It's a bit annoying seeing stuff that I'd forgotten about or no longer need and will get rid of later scrolling past, though. I should have had a tidy before updating. Ho hum

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            A while back I bought a min-display port / VGA adapter for MBP, which nicely extends the desktop. However I now want to run 2 monitors as well as the laptop.

Has anyone tried the USB -> VGA/DVI on MBP ?
            I just got a single monitor that's 3440x1440px - that should do for a bit

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Meeting about ms#5's school trip. Turns out most meals (apart from brekkie) are not included, and they need to take $300 for food. Lots of very angry parents. Can't find the original letter to see whether it made it clear - as so many were upset I imagine it didn't...
              When and where to?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Finally done

I'd forgotten they'd switched from Lucida Grande to Helvetica for this one. I daresay I'll get used to it

Comment

Goodnight

Comment

A bit pissed (blame pondy)

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                      X