• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Morrrrrrgen

Greek food sitting heavy. The other consultant left me a jif squeezy lemon so now I can have lemon tea. Very nice.

Checked out of hotel, 30 min u-bahn (tram) ride to work and now my day can start.

At 13:45 I shall be in the Bistrowagen of the 14:44 service to Dortmund with a WeissBier. TGIF

Comment

Morning

Comment

Days all screwed up this week. I put on my uncomfy shoes before realising it was Friday - Friday = comfy shoes day.

Comment

Reading my book on CBT last night. Apparently I need to change my internal model of how I view the world, starting with the things that cause adverse reactions in my. Ie my cognition of my environment is what causes me to go battulip.

So at the moment the thing that really sends me off the dial is when clientco keeps tapping me on the shoulder like an annoying toddler that just won't feck of and play nicely with the rattlesnake I gave them.

I worry about my deadlines. I want to hit them. ClientCo wants me to hit them.

But tapping me on the shoulder, for example :

Client : Do you know the date of birth for consultant x at this consultancy?
          Me : Err no.

or

Client : Did the dev server reboot ok last night?
          Me : Err yes.

In both instances I find it utterly baffling why an email wouldn't suffice. Why would I know someone's DOB? If the server didn't reboot ok, wouldn't I be tapping him on the shoulder?

So I've decided they're not deadlines any more. Instead I call them pipedreams.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            OK, extensive reconfiguration of the ClientCorp chair will hopefully allow my back to recover a little over the course of the day.

I'm still pissed off at whoever either totally changed it or, more likely, swapped it for another. My back had been fine for months; four days with the changed chair and I'm virtually crippled

The two days in a meeting room this week helped enormously, as the chairs there are much better than these. But yesterday undid all the good work
            Nothing worse than back pain. Do you do anything to strengthen the back? Not suggesting anything crazy, but get a pilates ball and dvd and make a fool of yourself in your own home.

Comment

Morning all again.

Here we are in the slough of despond.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Is it not warm in your neck of the woods?

Actually, not sure I've put the heating off yet - will get to it.
                Oh my gas central heating packed up months ago.

Both of them.

Now back to electric fires.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Snip....

In both instances I find it utterly baffling why an email wouldn't suffice. Why would I know someone's DOB? If the server didn't reboot ok, wouldn't I be tapping him on the shoulder?

So I've decided they're not deadlines any more. Instead I call them pipedreams.
                  But there is a time associated to reading and replying to emails. Its easier to pop over and ask. You get a direct response.

You really need to push back on the interruptions in a professional, serious manner.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    Morning
                    Morning

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                      But there is a time associated to reading and replying to emails. Its easier to pop over and ask. You get a direct response.

You really need to push back on the interruptions in a professional, serious manner.
                      I have sat with him over coffee and explained how the interruptions affect me, and ultimately his deadlines. I've explained how to get support, when my earbuds are in I would appreciate being left alone. I have explained to him what is a valid interruption and what is not.

This I have done for many many weeks. This week I escalated to the CEO of the consultancy, with the ultimatum "Either you bring him to heel or I will". The CEO kindly spoke with him.

Now it is worse. Yesterday after the DOB incident he joked "I need to get a little bell when I need you really".

I don't like confrontation, and my polite by professional explanations and escalations do not work. So, in a choose your battles wisely kind of way I've decided to give less of a ****

So when I miss his deadlines, and he is going postal I will listen very intently to what he has to say, and give him as much sympathy as he needs while he gets tulip from his bosses.

Comment

Working...
                      X